One of Toronto’s best keep secrets is the ChitraLekha Odissi Dance Creations, a dance company that specializes in Odissi, which is form of Classical Dance from the Eastern Indian state of Odissi. The ChitraLekha Dance Academy was established in 1980 by Guru ChitraLekha Patnaik in Toronto and specializes in Odissi dance and music. Her children, Ellora and Devraj, both talented artists in their own right have carried the dance company forward. From 2003 to 2006, CODC staged adaptations of Mahabharata, a great Hindu epic. This October, CODC will be staging Devi, which promises to be as feminine as the Mahabharata was masculine. Devi, which means “goddess” will see the CODC honouring the Mother Goddess in all her glorious forms.

There are five dance items in this production of Devi. The younger students of CODC will open the show with “Namastasyay Maa,” a surreal dance with their Guru ChitraLekha Patnaik. It is an invocation to Durga— the goddess of maternity, strength and peace. The CODC Company dancers will then perform an ensemble piece called “Gati Beda Pallavi” accompanied by a live orchestra. This is an item of abstract Odissi dance choreography. Next is “Nabha Durga,” which is a duet performance by Ellora Patnaik and her top prodigy Amita Tanya Raha. It describes the nine forms of Durga.

This is followed by “Patha Chaddide,” which is a solo expressionist dance by Odissi dance master, ChitraLekha. Radha, the heroine is described as going to the River Yamuna for an early morning bath, when she is stopped by her beloved, Krisha who teases her. She urges him to leave her so that she may collect flowers for her prayers. The final piece “Bande Debi Mataram” features 6 goddesses, who are all manifestations of the one greater mother goddess. This title piece is composed and choreography by Devraj Patnaik.

Devi promises to be a unique experience, and will be staged at the Leah Posluns Theatre on Saturday Oct 20 at 8 pm, and Sunday Oct 21 at 4 pm.

General tickets are $30, and VIP tickets are $50. For more information, please visit www.seeodissi.com