Friends that play together, stay together. That’s been the modus operandi for local quartet The Coast since they first formed several years ago. Ever since two sets of pals (and a pair of brothers) joined forces in high school, the band has been plugging away in the local indie scene with their trademark melodic, atmospheric sound.

But while they’ve managed to stay fast friends while working to find a place for themselves in an increasingly crowded scene, it’s been a long trajectory for the band—after changing their name a few years back, releasing a self-titled EP, and building a steady fanbase on the strength of their energetic local shows, the band signed to tastemaker indie label Aporia last year, giving them the support to move forward with touring beyond hometown borders and finally record their first full-length.

“I don’t feel a crazy amount of pressure, but I’m anxious to get it right,” singer/guitarist (and Varsity Comment editor) Ben Spurr notes during a break in studio sessions with producer Chris Stringer (D’Urbervilles, Ohbijou). “Sound-wise, it’s shaping up a bit differently…”

“We don’t have as much delay and reverb as before,” chimes in guitarist Ian Fosbery, who gleefully points out that earlier that day in the studio, he was playing a Gibson worth more than the band’s entire recording budget.

All four members contribute to the songwriting process, though Spurr and bassist Luke Melchoirre handle lyrical duties.

Spurr notes the new songs deal with darker themes, examining disillusionment with love and life—including an honest look at the occasional bout of inter-band tension.

“There are parts that are kind of confessional; a lot of that is uncovering some of the uglier sides of our personalities, but it’s kind of a cathartic thing, making peace with some of that stuff,” he says.

But the guys have learned how to juggle their musical career and friendship— their common goal to make it has kept them going through school, day jobs, and, er, Newport Harbor?

“Yeah, they licensed one of our songs,” Spurr admits sheepishly of MTV’s Laguna Beach spinoff show. “We’re apparently the background to a very emotional scene. We don’t know that much about it other than that it’s kind of a big deal.”

The Coast are confident other big opportunities will come their way once their debut is released in the spring.

“We’ve been together a long time, but it feels like we’re just starting to make some progress,” Fosbery says.

“We’re really excited about the record,” Spurr adds, “and we’re really hoping people feel the same way”