“This novel is a work of intuition.” So Isabel Allende writes of her latest work, Inès of My Soul, based on the real-life story of Inès Suárez, a 16th-century woman who aided with the conquest of Chile. With careful research of this undeveloped aspect of Chilean history and a gift for storytelling, Allende has managed to recreate the extraordinary life of a courageous heroine.

Suárez’s Latin American journey begins when she travels from her native Spain to the freshly discovered continent in search of her fortune-seeking husband. After a grueling nautical voyage and several trying and terrifying incidents, Suárez discovers that she is a widow. From this moment on, her life transforms from that of a quiet Spanish seamstress to one of a bold and courageous conquistadora. A fiery romance with Pedro de Valdivia leads her to become the only Spanish woman on a colonizing expedition to the Chile. With a mix of determination and strength, Suárez not only shatters the traditional view of 16th-century women but also becomes an indispensable member of the journey, saving lives on several occasions. Though tried by hardships and sexism, Suárez lives to see the goal of founding Chile come true.

The extraordinary life of this novel’s heroine is ultimately worth telling, all the more because it is true. Written as a memoir, Allende politely assumes the character of Inès Suárez, relaying the events as she believes they were once experienced. The depth and passion present in the novel reveal Allende’s incredible literary and emotional abilities. The narrative is littered with adventure, love, anger and fear that are familiar yet shocking. The vivacity of certain passages, especially those involving violence, demonstrate the author’s knowledge. Allende attributes her familiarity with torture, a reality often present in the novel, to her time spent in Chile during the coup that brought down her uncle, Salvador Allende, from power.

In many ways, this novel is a success. It brings clarification and honor to a little-known historical figure, enriching otherwise plain names, events and dates. Isabel Allende brings these to life, inviting readers to discover the potential of the author herself.

Rating: VVVV