The fight is on. In one week students at UTSC will vote in a referendum that could implement the GTA’s first UPass with access to the TTC.

Coinciding with the Scarborough Campus Student Union’s executive elections, the vote will need a minimum of about 500 students to be considered valid, with full-time and part-time undergraduate students voting separately.

If the Yes vote is successful, the program would add $240 per term to each student’s mandatory fees— working out to $60 a month, or $480 for an academic year. While this is a 38 per cent savings over the current student Metropass price of about $97, students could not opt out of the UPass program, and the passes would be non-transferable.

Since a large number of the campus’s students commute from areas beyond the TTC, the UTSC proposal offers equivalent credit transfer options for Go Transit and York Regional Transit. For some, however, that still doesn’t justify the cost.

Fourth-year Neurology and Psychology student Vikky Leung expressed frustration at the idea that $60 would be enough to cover her monthly costs if she were to give up driving. Since Leung lives in Pickering, it would cost at least $96 for her to get a monthly student pass for the Go bus. Leung said one of the reasons why she became the leader of the official No Campaign was because people were unfairly assuming that, as a driver, she had the extra $480 needed to cover (the costs of) the UPASS for two semesters.

While many have argued that the current UPASS proposal is unfair to students who drive, walk, bike, or live on campus, supporters of the program argue the program would encourage more students to explore downtown.

Political Science student and Yes Campaign organizer Tiffany Gerris argues the program’s long term environmental benefits and future increases in service to the area are strong reasons for students to adopt the UPass. SCSU VP external Chris Smith also stressed the need for lower congestion and a decreased dependence on cars as community benefits to the program.

Campaigning from both sides of the debate is currently well underway following last Thurday’s town hall forum with Mayor David Miller, TTC Chair Adam Giambrone, and TTC Vice-Chair Joe Mihevc. Class talks are set to take place by members of the No Campaign and the TTC has already provided the Yes Campaign with about 40 buttons and 50 full-colour posters.

SCSU president Rob Wulkan points out that the program is a lot like the insurance model where everyone pays. “Some people will stand to benefit a lot, and some people won’t, it all depends on how much someone decides to use their benefits.” Wulkan said the vote will ultimately be decided based on cost versus choice—a decision between saving money or being able to choose different methods of transportation.

The referendum is set to take place next week at UTSC on March 19 and 20. Full-time and part-time undergraduate students will be able to vote in the Student Centre.