Sin and Salvation: Holman Hunt and the Pre-Raphaelite Vision, the latest exhibit at the newly renovated AGO, opened to a packed house on Valentine’s Day. The display, which runs until May 10, showcases some of legendary British artist William Holman Hunt’s most recognized canvases, along with items from his everyday life and the works of other notable Pre-Raphaelites, including Dante Gabriel Rossetti and John Everett Millais.

The exhibit provides insight not only into Hunt’s artistic work, but the most pressing issues of his day. Nineteenth-century England struggled with social and political concerns, such as the role of women in society, gender relations, and a loss of faith. Curator Dr. Katharine Lochnan added that the main concerns of the Pre-Raphaelites have yet to be solved, saying, “The issues he addresses are as relevant today as they were in his own day.”

Hunt’s vibrant application of colour, curious incorporation of figures, and fascinating use of symbolism sheds light on the moments of insight and revelation that changed the course of individual lives. His preoccupation with piety and salvation is especially evident in The Light of the World, Isabella and the Pot of Basil, and The Finding of the Saviour in the Temple.

The ROM has also donated textiles worn by Hunt in his studio. These peculiar fashion choices are reminiscent of the prints and patterns used in his artwork, showing that Hunt incorporated his artistic visions into many different aspects of his life, including his wardrobe. Also on display are the artist’s palette and pigments, which provide a reminder of the old school techniques once used by painters.

The highlight of the exhibit is Hunt’s most famous piece, The Awakening Conscience. A young woman leaps from her lover’s embrace, intrigued by an unseen subject through the window. The glass-covered clock, a bird held captive by a cat, and the woman’s noticeably ring-less left hand all suggest she is a kept woman—a mistress. The light coming through the open window illuminates her face, depicting her realization of the errors of her luxurious life, and her turn toward salvation. The painting’s usage of realism and suggestion of spiritual enlightenment were central to the Pre-Raphaelite vision. The Awakening Conscience is the focal point of the room, and should not be missed.