Eighteen students were shot last Tuesday in front of Convocation Hall.

Lucy Barker, a fourth-year human biology and history student, held a water gun to a line of students, who stood shoulder-to-shoulder facing south.

“Oxfam says a child dies every 17 seconds from unclean water, so we shot one student with tap water every 17 seconds,” said Leanne Rasmussen, a third-year international relations student who took a spray for the team.

Oxfam UT held a flashmob, a brief, spontaneous event executed in public to grab public interest and attention.

The event, which began at 4 p.m. and lasted about 10 minutes, was advertised through the group as well as U of T’s Environmental Resource Network and EnviroFest week organizers.

“It was fun shooting people, but I’m glad we got the message out to them,” said Barker. “We wanted show students just how many people are affected by dirty water conditions.”

As each student was gently sprayed, they collapsed to the ground while others held posters with facts about dirty water. Onlookers from across King’s College Circle stopped to look as they walked to class.

“It’s not just drinking water,” said Anda Petro, a second-year philosophy and psychology student. “Clean water is needed for proper sanitation and growing food.”

According to Oxfam, unclean water kills more than three million people every year and 4,000 children die each day.

“Last Sunday was World Water Day [March 22] and we wanted to do something,” said organizer Laura Phelps, a fourth-year political science student. “There’s so many issues: access, privatization, bottled water, it goes on. We needed something students could relate to.”

The event was organized after Oxfam suggested campuses start using flashmob tactics to raise awareness. Phelps said she believes this is the first flashmob at U of T.

“I just hope it got people talking; that’s the real test at hand.”