The pitter-patter of little feet will finally be heard in the halls of UTM next month, when the long-awaited UTM campus childcare centre opens its doors. Set to open August 4, the centre has 26 spots and is now accepting applications.

UTMSU began campaigning in 2007 for a daycare centre similar to those at sister campuses. The daycare was originally scheduled to open in January. When February came construction had not started, many doubted the centre’s future.

“We are looking forward to the Early Learning Centre’s new Mississauga campus daycare centre,” said Henry Ssali, VP external of UTMSU. “We hope that it is implemented as promised. The UTM campus is the only one among the three campuses that does not have a child care centre. We have parent students too. It’s is unfair,” said Ssali

The new facility, located next to the Leacock Lane residences, has room for 10 toddlers, aged 18 to 30 months, and 16 pre-schoolers, aged 30 months to five years.

Full-time students can expect to pay between $982 and $1,515 a month, depending on the age of the child. By comparison, full-time staff and faculty will pay more, as much as $1,180 to $1,790 a month. As well, part-time staff and students are offered the option of either 10 hours of daycare for $50 to $107 a day, or five hours of daycare for $27 to $54 a day.

The price is still too expensive for students, Ssali said, and might mean the daycare will be more accessible to faculty and staff. “Some students cannot afford tuition, yet alone child care. Many student parents will instead look someplace else,” he said.

• Dollars for Daycare:Offers financial assistance for full-time UTM, St. George, and Scarborough campus students and part-time undergraduate students with financial need. International students with children can apply as well. Applications should be sent to the parent’s respective college.

• Childcare Bursary Plan: Non-repayable funding offered through OSAP. Eligible students have childcare costs for three or more children and receive OSAP assistance. A separate application is required.

• U of T Scarborough N’sheemaehn Child Care Centre Bursary: Eligible to students demonstrating financial need who have (or will have) one or more children at N’Sheemaehn. The bursary must be applied to childcare fees at N’Sheemaehn. Application required. Deadline: July 30.

• U of T Mississauga student-parents (both undergraduate and graduate) can apply for a childcare grant, administered by the U of T Mississauga Office of the Registrar. They can submit a UTM Grant Application and Child Care Supplement form starting in late October. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar to speak to an awards officer in person.

• University employees are eligible for a partial reimbursement of childcare expenses under the university’s Childcare Benefit Plan. Employees can find out more by referring to www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/groups.htm