Equity studies students are happy to hear that Rod Michalko, the only contract professor in disability studies, will be back next year. Students held two events last week to demand Michalko’s contract renewal and advocate for disability studies: a town hall held by the Equity Studies Students’ Union last Thursday, and a session Friday afternoon to make buttons, posters, and banners of support.

Disability studies is an interdisciplinary stream within New College’s equity studies program. It analyzes disability as a unique political, and social phenomenon, on par with race, class, and gender, and critically questions processes of remediation and rehabilitation.

“I can speak to the incredible quality of the knowledge and the passion for learning Professor Michalko’s students bring to my classroom,” said Catherine Morgan, a professor of philosophy and women and gender studies, on Thursday.

When The Varsity contacted New College admin on Friday, interim principal Shahrzad Mojab said Michalko’s contract will be extended for another year. Asked why Michalko and his supporters weren’t aware, she chalked it up to a miscommunication, due to a lag between New College’s negotiations with U of T admin and implementation of decisions.

“The level of research and scholarship Dr. Michalko brings is very important to us, and the area in which he works is very important to the University of Toronto,” Mojab said, adding Michalko will play a major role in a task force to determine the future of disability studies.

“This is fabulous news, but this doesn’t change our action or our overall campaign,” said Isabel Lay, one of the town hall’s organizers. “If there is going to be a task force, then our campaign needs to continue in order for student demands for permanent disability studies positions and a permanent disability studies program to be taken seriously.”

Rod Michalko will be holding a public lecture, “Coming Face To Face With Suffering,” on Tuesday, Nov. 3, 1-3 p.m. at Sidney Smith, Room 2108.