The basics

The H1N1 flu virus, also known as swine flu, causes symptoms similar to regular flu. These can include fever, chills, cough, sore throat, headache, fatigue, and nausea. In rare cases, H1N1 can lead to pneumonia and death, though mortality rates are below that of seasonal flu.

According to Toronto Public Health, most people who have contracted the flu recover without complications. Children are more at risk of becoming infected, as are pregnant women and people with pre-existing chronic disease.

The virus typically spreads from person to person, via coughs and sneezes that release particles that can be inhaled by others within six feet. The virus can also be transmitted via hard surfaces like counters and doorknobs.

Declared a worldwide pandemic in June 2009 by the World Health Organization, H1N1 first appeared six months ago and has spread around the globe.

The newly available vaccine is facing a “marketing challenge” among young people, who are not persuaded that the flu shot is important, the Canadian Press recently reported.

H1N1 in Toronto

According to government statistics, 95 people have died across the country from the virus, 30 of them in Ontario.

Toronto has seen 115 confirmed cases since September, of which 68 were reported last week, according to Toronto Public Health. After a 13-year-old boy in Mississauga died of H1N1 last week, the city opened vaccine clinics four days early, only to face long lines and a shortage.

As expected, an increase in H1N1 flu activity in several parts of the country began in late October. While some cases have been severe, most are considered mild.

H1N1 at U of T

Currently, the Public Health Agency of Canada recommends against the closure of schools on the grounds that the benefits of keeping schools open outweighs the risks of transmission.

U of T does not track the number of H1N1 cases on campus. Spokesperson Laurie Stephens said since most students do not get tested, tracking the number is near impossible.

Students can use ROSI to notify the university if they have flu-like symptoms. “Students who live in residence notify their don or residence assistant and someone will touch base with them to ensure they have appropriate supplies, including food,” said Lucy Fromowitz, assistant vice-president, student life.

U of T has asked students to prepare flu kits in the event they are ill and arrange for “flu buddies.” The university has also installed hand sanitizers at all entrances and washrooms and have met with registrars, deans, and food preparation staff to coordinate planning.

“I was asked to stay in my room until I felt better. I stayed for about five days, [until] my fever went away,” said fourth-year student Tori Cheifetz, University College’s first reported case of H1N1.

Cheifetz woke up last Friday with a headache, which soon developed into a fever. When she couldn’t get out of bed and sensed aches all over her body, she went to the hospital for a blood test and a nasal swab.

“Everyone in school backed away when I told them and some people have been rude,” she said.

The vaccine

In line with a national government-initiated vaccine program, U of T will be opening clinics on campus on Monday, Nov. 2. Each campus will receive a set number of vaccines, which are free to students.

The newly purchased vaccine is adjuvanted, which means it includes a substance that boosts the immune system’s responsiveness to the vaccine. This extra element is often contained in other vaccines such as tetanus and hepatitis B. The adjuvant in Canada’s H1N1 vaccine includes water, squalene oil, and vitamin E.

The vaccine also contains a small amount of Thimerosal, a form of mercury, used to stabilize and maintain the vaccine’s quality during storage.

Concerns have been raised over recent Canadian studies suggesting that people might be more susceptible to H1N1 if they have been vaccinated against the seasonal flu. PHAC asked an international expert panel to review the studies, which concluded that they hold merit and need further research.