Computer science students, faculty, and alumni displayed their work Tuesday afternoon at the Bahen Centre. The department’s annual Research in Action showcase featured 52 projects, up from 12 in 2007. “These projects cover the entire spectrum of computer science, from applications-oriented research that brings new insights to practical problems, to groundbreaking theoretical research that influences the entire discipline,” said department chair Craig Boutilier in a press release. Research ranged from medicine to social networking.

An iPhone application that conveys street map patterns to visually impaired users, using audio feedback from touch interaction, caught the attention of attendees.

An emergency response system, aimed to improve safety for the elderly, detects falls in the home and allows the senior to call for help. “The largest burden on health care is injuries. In 2004, they accounted for $6.2 million […] and so with this project we expect to save taxpayers money and increase the chances of full recovery,” said research manager Jen Boger. This project is one of many that is patented and searching for a commercial partner.

Other projects included a system that enhances the privacy of personal information shared on social networking sites, context-aware mobile devices to help those with anomic aphasia recall words and names, and a web application that mimics the flexibility of grading assignments with pen on paper.

Associate professor Ravin Balakrishnan is one of the showcase’s organizers. “[I hope it] will provide a channel for new partnerships and play a role in building the City of Toronto as a leader in high technology,” said Balakrishnan, encouraging students from different disciplines to get involved in projects.