Varsity Blues athletes, claiming individual and team honours, filled 2009 with outstanding accomplishments. Here are the top nine performances of 2009.

9

Women’s soccer team fifth at CIS tournament

For the first time, the University of Toronto hosted the Canadian Interuniversity Sport women’s soccer tournament at Varsity Stadium. Fourth-year midfielder Erica Basso scored the game-winning goal as the University of Toronto Varsity Blues defeated the UPEI Panthers 2-0 in the consolation final. With the win, the Blues completed the tournament with a fifth place finish and a 2-1 record.

8

Football team wins the Argo Cup

The Blues football team had a stellar performance as they beat the York Lions 45-27 in the 40th annual Red and Blue Bowl, claiming the Argo Cup for the second year in a row. Quarterback Jansen Shrubb and receiver Jonathan Wright connected on three touchdowns, leading the Blues to their first win of the season. The Blues tallied 431 yards of total offence and notably held the Lions to 38 yards receiving in the first half of the game.

7

Men’s soccer earn OUA silver and finish fourth at CIS Championships

The Blues men’s soccer team won the OUA silver medal after falling to the McMaster Marauders in a penalty shootout. It was a tough game, as both teams were fighting for the number-one spot in the OUA. The Blues earned a spot in the CIS Championship, fighting hard for an overall fourth-place finish in the tournament.

6

Women’s lacrosse team claims OUA bronze

The Varsity Blues women’s lacrosse team won the OUA bronze medal after a 16-10 win over the Queen’s Golden Gaels. After losing to the Laurier Golden Hawks in the semi-finals, the team bounced back with an impressive performance against the Gaels to end their season with an outstanding 13-1 record.

5

Women’s golf team earns OUA gold

In an impressive performance, the women’s golf team captured their first OUA title. The Blues defeated defending OUA champion Western and tournament favourites the Queen’s Golden Gaels. Remarkably, until the Blues, no other team but the Mustangs had won the championship since its inception in 2005. The Blues pulled away with a combined two-day score of 494 points.

4

Fencing team sweeps OUA Championships, wins bronze at national tournament

In February, the Varsity Blues men’s and women’s fencing team won gold at the OUA Championships. The women’s team finished first in all three individual and team events. Epée captain Hilary Peden won the gold medal, followed by teammate Joanna Ko with silver. Mandy Lau took the gold in the foil event, while foil captain Claire Midgley scored the silver. In the sabre event, Allison Doyle won the gold. The men earned medals in each individual and team event, with Hans Wolfgramm winning gold in the individual foil event. From Nov. 26 to 29, 10 members of the fencing team competed at the Senior National Fencing Championships at Carleton University. OUA all-star Kamil Karbonowski won the bronze medal in the men’s individual event, leading his teammates to the bronze medal in the team event.

3

CIS high jump champion Sarah Boyle represents Canada at Francophone Games

After earning the gold in the women’s high jump at the CIS Championships in March, Sarah Boyle represented Canada at the Francophone games from Sept. 27 to Oct. 6 in Beirut, Lebanon. Boyle placed sixth in the women’s high jump event at the Jeux de la Francophonie. She also received a bronze medal at the 2009 Canadian Track and Field Championships and world selection trials in June.

2

Colin Russell named the 2009 CIS male swimmer of the year

In February, star swimmer Colin Russell set two new national records in the men’s 100m and 200m freestyle. After breaking the two records, and winning three gold, one silver, and three relay medals (two silver and one bronze), Russell was named the CIS male swimmer of the year. Russell also helped the Blues men’s swim team earn a bronze in the CIS Championships.

1

Cross-country runner Megan Brown wins CIS gold medal, finishes second at the 2009 Canadian Cross-Country Championships

Megan Brown claimed her second consecutive CIS gold medal (and her third in four years), leading the Blues cross-country team to a second-place finish at the CIS Championships. In addition, the fourth-year runner finished a 7km race in 23:28, placing her in second at the 2009 Canadian Cross-Country Championship in Guelph. This stellar performance makes her eligible to represent Canada at the IAAF World Cross-Country Championships this March in Bydgoszcz, Poland.