Family matters

A recent study out of McMaster University has shown that the flowering plant Impatiens pallida plays well in the sandbox, at least with its siblings. The work showed that when surrounded by plants that it is related to, Impatiens will reduce the growth of its roots, thereby sharing food and water with relatives. The plants also grow longer, “branchier” leaves that prevent the shading of nearby siblings. When unrelated plants are grown together, Impatiens instead devote more energy for leaf growth in order to compete with nearby non-kin plants for access to sunlight and shade non-family individuals. The researchers observed Impatiens recognition of kin versus non-kin occurs only after growing the plant’s roots in a shared pot. This study builds upon a mounting body of evidence that plants, like animals, are capable of kin selection. This knowledge may be useful in boosting agriculture output where vast tracts of farmland are dedicated to genetically identical crops.

Source: American Journal of Botany

Lia Cardarelli

Researchers find genes responsible for athletic ability

Much of how an athlete performs in competition is a result of mental and environmental factors. The effects of genetic factors are known, but can be more difficult to assess. A Russian study aimed at understanding the effect of genetics on performance by testing athletes for genetic markers known to correlate with endurance. Many of the genetic markers are involved in metabolic pathways. The test cohort was composed of athletes involved in endurance sports such as cycling, running, and rowing. The study found that athletes were more likely than a control group to carry nine or 10 of these genetic markers (out of 10 markers tested for). When elite athletes were compared to the control group, the enrichment of these markers was even more apparent. While each of the genetic factors has a small effect, the combination of many endurance markers may make the difference between mere mortals and the truly Herculean among us.

Source: Human Genetics

LC

Studies find correlation between marijuana and alcohol abuse

Marijuana is the most commonly used illegal drug in North America. Its use has been linked not only to social malfunctions but also to health risks including an increased chance of developing mental illnesses. Recent studies have shown that marijuana usage and dependence is caused by a set of genes common to alcohol abuse. A study examining over 6,000 individuals aged 24 to 36 years of age looked at the amount of alcohol consumed by subjects compared with the frequency of marijuana use. Dependency levels were also measured by symptoms indicative of addiction. The results of this study show that genes influencing the use and misuse of marijuana also influence alcohol consumption and abuse. Genetic influences on drug use are not specific to a single drug, but rather cause a general tendency to engage drug use. Researchers hope to gain more insight on the environmental factors influencing the use of both substances to further advance this area of research.

Source: Science Daily

Tahmina Nasserie

A tradeoff to the excitement of colonizing Mars

Astronauts embarking on space journeys now have an additional worry while in space. Research at the Nancy-University in France and the University of Luxembourg shows that space travelers’ immune systems progressively weaken during spaceflight. Moreover, bacteria replicate faster in micro- or zero-gravity environments, while latent viruses, responsible for diseases such as chicken pox and mononucleosis, are more likely to reawaken. Bacteria are also more virulent and antibodies are less effective in outer space. Data reviewing more than 150 studies from the Apollo era show that even short-term space journeys resulted in compromised immune systems. NASA scientists are still trying to identify the reasons behind the immune system deficiency syndromes astronauts experience. Unfortunately, their first-ever comprehensive study of the evolution of viruses and astronauts’ immune systems was lost in 2003, as the shuttle Columbia disintegrated while re-entering the Earth’s atmosphere. Louis Montaner, editor of the Journal of Leukocyte Biology, acknowledges that with current technological achievements, disease-free survival in space is unlikely and may pose a significant impediment in successfully colonizing Mars or even the Moon.

Source: Popular Science

Albert-Razvan Gheorghita

Teaching our bodies to kill cancer and HIV

In a program funded by the National Institute of Health, researchers at Yale University published a breakthrough discovery that proposes a cure for two of the deadliest diseases of the 20th century. Researcher David Spiegel introduced synthetic molecules to healthy cells that were able to trigger the body’s immune response against prostate cancer cells and HIV-infected cells, while preventing healthy cells from becoming infected. The molecules attach themselves to antibodies already present in the bloodstream and to proteins located outside infected cells. Prostate cancer synthetic molecules allow for high cell selectivity, unlike radiation-induced chemotherapy. The treatment can be delivered simply in the form of a pill, and its side effects are predicted to be minimal since the molecules act to enhance the body’s natural immune response. In comparison to HIV antiviral drugs, the synthetic molecules targeting HIV-infected cells are less costly to produce and easier to administer. HIV affects 33 million people worldwide, while one in six American men will have prostate cancer, which is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths.

Source: ScienceDaily

ARG