Butter beats olive oil, I kid you not

Butter leads to higher blood fats than olive oil, right? Wrong. Julia Svensson at Lund University discovered that butter contains 20 per cent short- and medium-length fatty acids, which contribute to a relatively low increase in short-term blood fat. Contrary to how the body uses the long-chain fatty acids found in vegetable oils, these small fatty acids provide a direct energy source rather than increasing blood fat by being stored.

Lund drew her conclusions after observing blood fat levels in 19 women and 28 men who consumed three test meals containing butter (consisting of short to medium fatty acids) and canola-flaxseed oil, or olive oil (both containing long fatty acid chains). The results showed that while butter may increase blood cholesterol in the long term, it could provide short-term benefits over olive oil.

While butter is most often labeled as the “bad” fat, all fats possess high-energy contents which will be stored in the body if not used entirely. Therefore, despite the common labels of “good” and “bad” fats, all fat consumption that exceeds the amount of fat burned potentially leads to increased long-term disease risk.—Alexandra Irena Eremia

Source: Science Daily

Study finds potential hazard in ‘third-hand’ smoke

Researchers at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory have found that the toxins that cling to walls, carpets, and other surfaces after smoking (a hazard termed “third-hand” smoke) can react with the common gas nitrous acid to produce tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs).

“TSNAs are among the most broadly acting and potent carcinogens present in unburned tobacco and tobacco smoke,” Hugo Destaillats, the study’s co-author, told Scientific American.

While the better-known second-hand smoke also contains TSNAs, these carcinogens are often produced in greater amounts from the residual toxins. “Whereas the sidestream smoke of one cigarette contains at least a 100 nanograms equivalent total of TSNAs, our results indicate that several hundred nanograms per square metre of nitrosamines may be formed on indoor surfaces in the presence of nitrous acid,” said Mohamad Sleiman, the lead author of the paper.

Those at greatest risk of third-hand smoke are young children, as they are most likely to be exposed to the TSNAs by playing close to contaminated surfaces or ingesting dust, the study also reports.—Kimberly Shek

Source: Scientific American

Put down the Sudoku and pick up your cell phone

A new study led by University of South Florida researchers at the Florida Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center found that our memory may benefit from cell phones’ electro-magnetic waves. In a controlled study, researchers exposed mice to these electromagnetic waves for two one-hour periods each day for seven to nine months via an antenna positioned around their cages. Most of the mice were genetically inclined to develop plaques and memory problems similar to Alzheimer’s disease as they aged, however there were some normal mice and some mice that already exhibited signs of dementia.

Much to the researchers’ surprise, the mice that were genetically programmed to develop memory impairment didn’t, and the normal mice that were exposed experienced an improvement in memory. One of the most surprising results was that the mice that already had dementia showed a reversal in their memory problems.

These unexpected findings suggest that the electromagnetic waves produced by cell phones may be an effective and non-invasive way of treating Alzheimer’s disease in humans. Improved memory was apparent in these mice after months of exposure, suggesting it would take humans years of exposure to benefit, so start talking!—Ariel Lewis

Source: Science Daily

Worlds away: Astronomers begin to uncover nearby ‘Super-Earths’

Do other Earth-like planets exist? Until now, planets that can support life, similar to Earth, have been difficult to find. Unfortunately, the easiest planets to locate are gas giants. David Charbonneau of the Harvard-Smithsonian center for Astrophysics and his team have evidence to support a nearby “Super-Earth” possibly orbiting stars nearby Earth. Charbonneau detected the planet GJ 1214 b, which has a diameter 2.68 times that of our blue planet. GJ 1214 b was found by the MEarth Project, which observes light changes from M dwarf stars caused by transiting planets. GJ 1214 b’s water density and atmospheric pressure allow water to remain liquid. Exoplanet researcher Sara Seager explains that research is still being conducted to find out what the planet is made of. Other Earth-like planets recently found include COROT 7 and HD 1461 b.—Tanya Debi

Source: Scientific American

Genetic test for ‘speed gene’ in thoroughbred horses

Dr. Emmeline Hill, a leading horse genomics researcher of University College Dublin’s School of Agriculture, has conducted groundbreaking research leading to the discovery of a “speed gene” in thoroughbred horses. This discovery is particularly useful to the international multi-billion euro racing business and horse breeding industry. The “speed gene” is likely to alter decision-making in the bloodstock industry.

Breeders, owners, and trainers no longer need to rely on the century-old static breeding techniques by using the revolutionary Equinome gene test. This test allows for a horse’s genetic type to be determined and can save time that would have otherwise been spent in training and other breeding considerations.

The gene test can be used to effectively identify which horses are suited for specific race distances (i.e. short, middle, or long) according to their athletic trait characterization. Better breeding decisions, as well as enhanced selection precision, would ultimately optimize racing potential.—Cristina Olteanu

Source: Science Daily