Placebo effect increases women’s sexual satisfaction

A new study has reported that women with low sex drives obtain greater sexual satisfaction after taking a placebo. The research was conducted by Cindy Meston, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin, and Andrea Bradford of the Baylor College of Medicine.

In the study, 200 women aged 35-55 participated in a 12-week clinical trial to test a drug treatment for low sexual arousal. Fifty of these women were given a placebo, and one in three women who took the placebo showed an overall improvement. To measure the effect of the treatment, women were asked to talk to a health provider about their difficulties. They also rated their symptoms of sexual dysfunction, including low sexual desire, low sexual arousal, and problems with orgasm. None of their partners were given any special instructions, and most improvement seemed to happen during the first four weeks.

Participating in the study seemed to make couples feel closer, communicate more, and even act differently towards each other during sexual encounters. Actively trying to find a solution to a sexual problem seems to be part of the solution itself. — Kim Tran

Source: University of Texas at Austin

Astronomers identify nearby habitable planet

After 11 years of observations, University of California researchers have identified a nearby planet suitable for habitation. The planet orbits the red dwarf star Gliese 581, located 20 light years away from earth. The planet has received the temporary designation “Gliese 581g.” While similar planets were found orbiting the star, it is hypothesized that they are on the outskirts of Gliese 581’s habitable zone, and would be too hot or too cold to maintain a liquid supply of water, and life formation.

Although possessing liquid water and an atmosphere are important characteristics of a habitable planet, it is not believed to be a place humans would enjoy living in. In contrast to our Earth, 581g is tidally locked to its star, which it orbits in a mere 37 days. This results in one side having perpetual daylight, while the other is in permanent darkness. This peculiar characteristic would make the line between the light and dark side the planet’s most habitable zone.

Although it took more than 200 observations to detect, the planet was found relatively quickly. It is also close to our own solar system, suggesting that the number of systems with habitable planets could be larger than initially estimated. — Alexandra I. Eremia

Source: World Science

Researchers use epigenome to find 13 genes linked to body mass

Epigenetics is one of the most popular fields in science today. Recently, scientists from Johns Hopkins University have searched epigenomes instead of simply DNA sequences, and have found thirteen genes linked to human body mass.

The epigenome involves key features of DNA, although it is separate from the organism’s genetic code. Cells remember epigenetic information, commonly in the form of patterns of DNA methylation — a chemical change in the DNA involving the addition of a methyl group of one carbon and three hydrogen atoms. Methylation patterns can regulate genes insofar as they can decide when genes are to be turned on or off.

Researchers used DNA samples from Icelanders’ white blood cells to search for methyl groups. They found 13 regions associated with methylation as well as body mass. A high body mass index can result in conditions like heart disease and obesity. Thus, while this epigenetic strategy is an unconventional one in terms of identifying people who are at risk for disease, it appears promising. — Cristina Olteanu

Source: Johns Hopkins Medicine