Less than a week after the final out of the 2010 World Series was recorded, it feels like baseball’s offseason is already in full swing. A flurry of managerial hirings and firings have kicked things off, and some big-name free agents are already thinking in dollar figures.

The MLB has alluded that expanded playoffs could be upon us in the near future and, for the better, will affect the sport profoundly.

Commissioner Bud Selig acknowledged during a World Series news conference that he likes the idea, and the players’ union is also receptive. Selig indicated that while he doubts it will be decided in time for 2011, it’s not out of the question just yet.

Compared to other sports, baseball’s playoffs have long been an elite affair. A mere eight out of the total 30 teams make the playoffs each year, and many teams begin the season knowing they have no hope of making it.

The model being discussed right now would add one extra wild card team to both the National League and the American League. A total of five teams from each league — meaning ten in total — would then make the playoffs: three division winners, and two wild cards.

Potentially, the two wild cards will play a short best-of-three series to begin the playoffs, with the winner then moving on to join the other three teams to play a Division Championship Series and a League Championship Series, as is currently done.

An extra playoff spot means more meaningful games late in the season for more teams, thus increasing revenue and viewership. Fewer teams would begin the season with no hope of making the playoffs and there would be more do-or-die games on the last weekend of the regular season.

Traditionalists object to changing the game in any way and feel there is strength in baseball’s elitist playoff system. However the same objections were raised about both the implementation of an eight-team playoff in 1995 and the creation of the World Baseball Classic tournament several years ago. Both moves have been great for the sport.

While a best-of-three series following a 162-game regular season does seem a bit silly, it’s the best available option. Teams refuse to shorten the regular season to allow for earlier and longer playoffs, and Bud Selig does not want the World Series to continue into November. The expanded playoffs might not be perfect, but would be a very positive change. Here’s to hoping for it.