St. George

The Athletic Centre

As a Varsity athlete I know the Athletic Centre very well. The main level boasts a very large weight room, and at first glance it can be slightly overwhelming. Once you take a look around, however, you’ll appreciate where everything is placed. Through the blue doors on the fourth floor, you’ll find the indoor track surrounded by elliptical machines and treadmills. There’s even an area for pole vaulting. The middle of the track is open space, and is commonly used by the track team for discus throwing and high jumping. The AC offers community swimming lessons and has both a 50-metre pool, which is used by the Toronto Swim Club as well as the Varsity Blues swim team, and a 25-metre pool. At times it can get very busy, so I would suggest if you want to go and work out, between noon and 3 p.m. is best because this is the quietest time.

Hart House

Hart House, the original gym at U of T, is one of the cornerstones of the university community, but can be a tad difficult to navigate on first visit. Once you go up the stairs to the track, however, you’ll relax. Unlike the monstrous AC, Hart House is modest. The track at Hart House is surrounded by treadmills and stationary bikes. The track is smaller than the AC but it’s in such a gorgeous building that at times you forget you’re in downtown Toronto. It has three squash courts, and a spinning room. Hart House’s pool, however, is very small. If you are just learning to swim, they offer a great deal of programs for new swimmers. If you are a masters swimmer, I would suggest going to the AC.

UTSC

On the east side of the city, we have UTSC’s athletic facilities. Although the facilities, originally built in 1968, have since undergone many renovations, none compare to the multimillion-dollar overhaul that will take place before the 2015 PAN-AM games touch down in Toronto. Proposed is a $170 million state-of-the-art aquatic complex, complete with two Olympic-sized, 52-metre swimming pools, a 10-metre diving tank, multipurpose gymnasiums, a running track, racquet courts, and fitness and training areas. UTSC’s facilities may be modest at the moment, but there is still a gym that can accomodate two regulation size basketball games. It is commonly used for intramural sports. There is a small weight room, complimented by elliptical machines and rowing machines. What UTSC lacks in indoor facilities, however, it makes up for outdoors. There is a spectacular rugby field, soccer pitch and baseball diamond. The Varsity Blues men’s rugby and baseball teams both play their home games at UTSC. If you’re the outdoor-type and are in the Scarborough area, this is definitely the place for you.

UTM

About 40 km west of Toronto is U of T’s satellite campus in Mississauga. Because UTM is my home campus, I am probably at this gym every other day. The Recreation, Athletic, and Wellness Centre (or “RAWC,” as it’s known as around campus) was built in 2006, and many would say it’s ‘under-used.’ It has 10 weightlifting units and a 177-metre elevated track above of an open-space concept facility that boasts new elliptical trainers and stationary bikes. To the side of the track, there are 15 rowing machines. The Varsity Blues rowing team is based out of UTM and has ties with Port Credit Row. For those who like the idea of an open space workout area, this facility is the place to be. Having done spinning classes at both the RAWC and Hart House, I much prefer the RAWC because you are not enclosed in a room. Instead, you are in a breathable, open space. The RAWC has a 25-metre pool that is used by the Mississauga Aquatic Club. The RAWC often hosts swim meets for nearby high schools, like Erindale S.S. In addition to suggesting this gym to UTM’s student population, I highly would recommend it to novice athletes in the Mississauga area.