I am not surprised that Mr. Scollon would be interested in rewriting history leading up to the University of Toronto Students’ Union elections, no matter how irresponsible that may be to The Varsity’s readers. I am grateful that The Varsity has offered the Union the opportunity to respond and correct, yet again, the misinformation that the Student Political Action Committee (SPAC) seems bent on spreading, despite knowing better.

In his article, “What is Student PAC?,” Mr. Scollon suggests that the Union has allowed campus clubs to suffer at the expense of funding “personal pet projects.” Anyone who is familiar with the work of the Union, even in the slightest, knows that this is patently false. We have stated, time and again, that campus clubs are highly valued by the Union–something that is reflected by the amount of resources, both via direct funding and support services, provided for the over 400 Union-recognised clubs. Our clubs are the lifeblood of our communities. In addition to tripling the number of training sessions available for clubs this year, we have increased direct funding, specialised services, celebrated dedication and ingenuity with our Clubs Awards and the annual Unity Ball, and secured clubs free bookable space at the Athletic Centre and Varsity Stadium. Perhaps Mr. Scollon and others at SPAC are upset about a new club to which they belong to that was not eligible for funding because no one attended the mandatory training sessions on their behalf?
University of Toronto Students’ Union fee continues to be one of the lowest in the country at $16.46 per session (compared to $33 per session for the Queen’s Alma Mater Society, $38 per session for the York Federation of Students, or $200 per session for the University Students’ Council of the University of Western Ontario). We pride ourselves on being able to offer the quality of services despite the limitations on our budget in comparison to our sister students’ unions.

In addition to spending ten percent of our operating budget to funding clubs directly, the majority of the Union’s resources are allocated to operating money-saving services, providing bursaries, Orientation programming, Homecoming (yes, this is indeed the second year we have run a successful Homecoming with students from across the University), the Stop Flat Fees campaign, the campaign to Save Arts and Science, the production of the handbook and clubs directory, providing free International Student Identity Cards, eXpression Against Oppression week, campaigns to eliminate financial barriers to post-secondary education, campaigns to improve student agency at the University, and campaigns to end oppression and discrimination on campus. Though Mr. Scollon and others from SPAC may not be aware, institutions, students’ and labour unions, faculty associations, and employers and community members across Ontario have acknowledged that post-secondary education is at a crisis point in terms of funding and quality. Never before have we seen tuition fees so high for class sizes so large with so many assignments now marked by machines. These issues are raised constantly by the Union’s members and it is the responsibility of the Union to address them. They are hardly “personal pet projects.” Although SPAC may not take these issues seriously, any “ordinary” student would agree with my colleagues and I that a Union cannot ignore such egregious social inequities and experiences occurring on our campuses.

Mr. Scollon points to the Union’s “failure to lower tuition.” Beyond the fact that we would never lobby to reduce tuition, but rather tuition fees, I’ll suggest here that his anger is misplaced. Most students are aware that the Union has no control over tuition fees; that responsibility lies with both the University’s administration and the Ontario government. We agree with that concern, particularly given that polling suggests that 80 per cent of Ontarians want tuition fees lowered. However, the provincial government continues to ignore its electorate. In this regard, we continue to do all we can through lobbying, research, and membership mobilisation. We raise this issue consistently in our meetings with members of the senior administration and participate in lobby meetings with members of parliament. We also lobby for interim solutions, like ending interest charges on late tuition fees and allowing students to pay fees by semester without financial penalties. I invite SPAC members to join us in our efforts, as I have not seen any of them work with us on these initiatives before.

Finally, SPAC seems to be very concerned about the resources allocated to Human Resources in the Union’s operating budget. Mr. Scollon, having attended the Union’s Annual General Meeting and several other Union meetings should be fully aware of what this number represents. However, he and others continue to misrepresent this to students and the media. He has stated that this figure is what the Union’s Executive Committee spends on “their own salaries.” First off, executive remuneration is dictated by democratically developed Union policy in recognition of the more-than-full-time nature of the position and to ensure that those students who must begin paying back their OSAP as a result of part-time status are not unfairly disadvantaged from being involved in the Union. Additionally, this figure represents all human resources for the Union’s operations. This includes the amounts that the Union is legally required to allocate as an employer, such as CPP and EI contributions, Health Tax, and WSIB Premiums and other provisions of the Collective Agreement. In addition, these human resources exist to serve the membership as they have requested over the years. Duties of these staff people include coordination of the Health and Dental Plans, operating the weekly Food and Clothing Bank, coordinating the sale of metropasses and discounted entertainment tickets, coordinating the Union’s bursaries, operating the Book Exchange, managing the finances of the Union to ensure accountability, and providing support for campus clubs, as examples. Note the common theme: many of the services that are run by these staff people collectively save students thousands of dollars every year. I deeply value the staff of the Union, who go above and beyond to ensure that our members have access to the services they need and deserve.

While Mr. Scollon claims to have “worked for months to talk” with the Union, it seems as though the only efforts have been to have things printed in the campus press and to grandstand at large meetings, not to book an appointment with us to go over the details of our work. Even so, we have responded with clarity each time. Sometimes it is not enough to simply talk; you have to listen, too.

Editor’s note: In the February 14 issue of The Varsity in the article “What is StudentPAC”, Taylor Scollon directed a number of criticisms at the University of Toronto Student’ Union. The article can be read here: http://thevarsity.ca/articles/42387