Santa Carolina Shiraz

$7.95 at the LCBO

I don’t generally like shiraz, but this week I think I’ll be drinking a lot of it. Along with being the sixth most populous city in Iran and the capital of Fars Province, shiraz is a dark-skinned grape with an ancestry in the Rhone region of Southeastern France. The grape first came to prominence in France when it was blended to create bordeaux and made it to Australia in the 1830s, where it is also very popular.

A shiraz is a very powerful, full-bodied wine. Similar to pinot grigio, reviewed last week, the flavours can vary based on technique, climate, and soil. There will normally be hints of a berry or floral aroma, but what you’re more than guaranteed to notice is the taste of black pepper. This is the kind of wine that makes you cough in the most uncouth of manners at the winery; my first memory of it is when it shocked me into repenting when I tried it in church.

People will also describe it as having an earthy or leathery taste. What does this mean? If you cannot run out to the store this moment, take an old belt and bury it the garden patch, then quickly dig it up (you wouldn’t want it to be overdone), and lick it. Lick it good. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you an earthy and leathery taste. If you ever order the house red at Pauper’s Pub you’ll realize that your old belt might just be an upgrade.

The Santa Carolina Shiraz is among the better shiraz wines you’ll find. As we learned previously, South America is a fantastic source of reasonably priced wines. This specimen has light berry hints and — you guessed it — some earthy tones. Best enjoyed during an indecisive UTSU election as you’re waiting for the CRO.