One Thousand and One Nights

2pm and 7pm everyday until June 19, Canadian Opera Company

Tim Supple’s theatrical saga of ‘a story within a story’ unfolds a series of Arabic tales fraught with rape, violence, and ill-behaved jinni. One Thousand and One Nights begins with a virgin telling a story to save her life and, as the production shifts between scenes, Supple’s use of space is really something to be admired — a simple sheet of satin transforms a beach into a palace, into a market. However, each part of the two-part production is three hours in length and mostly subtitled. Unlike a three hour foreign-language film, live theatre suffers obstacles such as actors blocking the subtitle screen, as well as technical difficulties that come at key plot points, leaving the audience clueless as to why an orgy has suddenly flooded the stage. The high energy, highly sexualized production struggles to keep your focus and with tickets beginning at $30 for just one part, one three hour stint should more than suffice. — Ariel Lewis

Habit

Free 11am–7pm everyday until June 19, OCAD Universtiy (Great Hall, second floor)

A makeshift apartment set up in the middle of the Great Hall holds three young actors, several messy rooms and is fodder for a drama of reality television calibre. The most striking part of David Levine’s Habit is the knowledge that these actors are running through an eight hour long script, living in their own world for the day while onlookers shuffle in and out of the space. As you peer into the kitchen, poking your head into the window, merely three inches from an actor’s hand, the feeling of being so close to a live human who appears to be oblivious to your presence is as powerful as the exhibit’s statement on reality television. — AL

Sargasso

Free everyday until June 18, Allen Lambert Galleria, Brookfield Place

Sargasso, by Philip Beesley Architect Inc, is an exhibit of responsive architecture located inside 181 Bay Street. The exhibit consists of one gigantic floating plastic mass — difficult to describe but worthwhile to see. In the description of the artwork, Beesley poses the question: can architecture come alive? Although the answer may not be simple, the tiered, plastic, cloud-like piece of architectural artwork blends seamlessly with the arched glass ceiling of the atrium. From afar, one would never guess that plastic is the material of choice. The white plastic is cut to resemble feathers, which adds to the ethereal feel of the artwork. The addition of glass balls — containing olive oil, soy sauce, and water — hanging beneath the ascending cloud is a unique touch. In the end, the exhibit is free and a great photo opportunity, but, be warned: don’t expect to spend more than five minutes at Sargasso. This exhibit consists of only one piece, albeit a large one. — Lily Tarba

Garden of Roses: Denis Gagnon interprets Alice

Free everyday till June June 19, Wintergarden Lobby

Garden of Roses is Luminato’s sole exhibit delving into the world of artistic fashion. What was advertised as a reinterpretation of Alice in Wonderland by acclaimed Canadian designer Denis Gagnon, ended up being, in reality, the showcase of a single dress in the lobby of 225 King Street West. There seems to be a reoccurring pattern when it comes to the free exhibits at Luminato: they are sparse and an obvious after-thought of the organizers. By now, the breadcrumb status of the free events at Luminato no longer comes as a surprise. — LT

Broadcasting Live with Ustream.TV

Live stream of David Levine’s Habit