Drought-ridden Somalia was declared to be in a state of famine last month by the United Nations. In response, the Muslim Students’ Association at UTM has partnered with UTMSU to start a relief campaign, collecting money to help with starvation. The campaign runs from August 2 to 15.

“At this moment the drought has affected all of East Africa, and the UN has just declared that five regions have been worse hit in Africa, Somalia being one of them,” said Saleha Faruque, UTMMSA community services director.

“As many people know, this is the month of Ramadan, where Muslims will take one month out of the whole year to fast. Part of fasting is to try and feel and understand what those less fortunate feel today, which is not having enough food or water to drink, and that is exactly what is happening in East Africa. We thought this was the perfect opportunity to raise money for this tragic event.”

The two groups are associated with the charity Islamic Relief. “The UTMSU came up with the idea,” said Faruque. “[They] decided to use the Islamic Relief charity simply because it takes the lowest admission costs.”

Beyond collecting money at CCT Building and Davis Building, the groups have set up a donation box at a nearby mosque, where there will also be a charity dinner.

“So whoever would want to donate could just go to the dinner, buy dinner, and your contribution would go to the East African relief fund,” said Faruque, adding that the group is planning a movie- or sports-related fundraising event for campus students. “We do have a few good ideas to help bring some money beyond just setting up in the south building and collecting donations.”

“We don’t necessarily have a goal. We do believe it is the thought and effort that counts,” said Faruque. “We are mainly trying to raise awareness. Even if someone [could not afford the donation but still passed] it on to someone who could, that would be great.”

“It’s important that we do whatever we can to help out with this cause,” said Ruba El-Kadri, event organizer and UTMSU VP equity. “It’s unfortunate and upsetting that the international community hasn’t taken a stronger stance on the issue. Millions of people could potentially die as a result of this drought, and yet this story rarely, if ever, makes the front page of the news.”

Students who want to launch similar initiatives should contact campus or college unions and groups. The Canadian government is matching all donations made before September 16.

St. George campus’ MSA is holding an iftar fundraiser for Somalia on August 26 at 7:30 p.m. at the Multi-Faith Centre. Tickets are $15 for U of T Students and $25 for others.