If you live in Toronto and have the slightest interest in music, you have likely been to Annex record store Sonic Boom. Formerly located just east of Bathurst along Bloor, the vast, two-level space had become a Toronto alt landmark since owner Jeff Barber opened the store in 2001. Most recently honoured in last year’s feature film Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, Sonic Boom had cemented its place among other gems such as the Bloor Cinema and Lee’s Palace.
So it’s not surprising that an uproar went through the Annex and local media when Barber announced in late June that the store was going to move into another TO landmark, Honest Ed’s. Almost more shocking than the news of the move was the reason for it: Barber’s landlord declined to renew the lease with Sonic Boom’s lease and instead leased the space to a new tenant, Dollarama.

“I guess there is more security with major retailer than with a small, independent business,” Barber speculates. “They had told me they were going to redevelop the site and that I would have to find a new place. When I mentioned I was interested in buying it [the landlord] said no.”

About three weeks ago Sonic Boom opened its new location at Bathurst and Bloor. Although inside the famous discount store, Barber emphasizes that “it’s important to me we make it Sonic Boom rather than Honest Ed’s. It’s fully divided and we have our own entrance on Bathurst. It’s a huge space and it’s going to take a while to fill it out, to make it our own and make it unique but we’re doing the best we can.”

As difficult as it is to see a thriving, independent business lose against a Goliath of a corporate chain, in this case the medal really has two sides. Long before eviction became a looming possibility, Jeff Barber started to think about opening up a second location, ideally in Kensington Market.

This second store opened its doors to the public at 201 Augusta Avenue in early August, inhabiting a small space limited to vinyl. Apart from the second location, it’s clearly a Sonic Boom. Just as its mother-store continues setting up its signature Tim Oakley window displays in the slightly lower, but significantly longer, windows facing Bathurst, its vinyl-focused offspring is clothed in the artful decorations as well.

So, with the Dollarama coming in as the designated black sheep of the Annex family, where does long-time resident Barber see the neighbourhood going? “Of course it’s getting harder for the independent retailers, but the neighbourhood is good. With the Dollarama I just don’t think it’s a good fit, and the response we’re getting back from the community seems to confirm that. As far as the Bloor Cinema goes, I think it’s a good scenario with HotDocs as the new manager. They’re going to do a great job with the [place] and curating the program.”

A few units over, more changes are afoot. Just two weeks after the news of Sonic Boom’s move stirred up the Annex, Bloor Cinema issued a press release on its website, stating that, although its “currently undergoing renovation, the Bloor Cinema will reopen this fall under Hot Docs’ management, revitalized and ready to welcome Toronto’s film-loving public.” For years, the previous owners were looking to sell the place, but refused many offers by big corporations, to ensure that Bloor Cinema wouldn’t turn into a sell-out. Finally, Blue Ice Film bought the venue this summer, and partnered with Hot Docs as the cinema’s new managers. They don’t want to set a specific opening date yet but expect doors to open sometime in late fall, certainly by the end of 2011.

Hot Docs festival organizer Alan Black emphasizes that, deviating from their initial plans, the Bloor will continue to host rep films, select indie festivals such as the After Dark, and beloved cult screenings as much as possible. Nonetheless, the programming will largely feature documentaries. “We want to combine the best of the Bloor and the best of Hot Docs,” says Black. “We don’t want to do anything too drastic and change either the physical space or experience.”  Some items to look forward to at the revamped cinema are a new screen, projector, and sound system, as well as a few new seats and bathroom stalls. Basically, the whole place is getting “the little polish it deserves,” inside and out.

It’s clear that the new management is determined to preserve and strengthen the community value that Bloor Cinema holds in the Annex. A few weeks ago they hosted a community meeting where attendants were given the chance to voice their opinions and expectations for the space, and the input was taken seriously. “We learned that people love Bloor Cinema an awful lot and are really proud of it. It’s a very diverse crowd, everyone seems to have their own stake at the Bloor. We want to maintain that, keep it as a community theatre and let it become what the community desires,” Black says. With all the care that goes into the renovation process, it’s safe to say that the Annex is far from losing its cultural cred.