Alexandra Dodger’s friends, family, and professors are commemorating a U of T alumna who recently passed away. While crossing a one-way street in downtown Ottawa on October 15, Dodger was hit by a car travelling the opposite way.

The driver of the vehicle is thought to have been drunk, though no breath sample was provided.

A recent graduate of McGill University’s law school, Dodger was an active member of the University of Toronto Student’s Union and other student organizations.

In her memory, McGill law’s Student Affairs Office has set up a tribute website where people can leave their memories of Dodger. A similar page has also been created on the social networking site Facebook.

According to the messages, Dodger was a vibrant, thoughtful and selfless person who was passionate about helping others.

Her grandmother, Cecile Wojciechowski, told the Ottawa Citizen that Dodger was “always trying to work it out so that the poor people would get it better.”

“I guess that’s the way she was born. That was her light,” she added.

NDP MP Dan Harris, a friend of Dodger’s, delivered a speech in the House of Commons honouring her memory, saying that “Alex was an extraordinary woman, who was passionate about life and was determined to improve the lives of those around her. She cared deeply about giving a voice to the voiceless.”

Dodger’s funeral took place on Thursday followed by a Friday memorial event hosted by McGill’s Faculty of Law.

With files from the Ottawa Citizen, McGill.ca and danharris.ca.