The winter semester is often the most difficult one to get through. With the weather seldom bright and mountains of schoolwork that never seem to diminish, the idea of wearing sweats all day might seem attractive. But dressing stylishly doesn’t have to be difficult, nor is it the exclusive domain of the warmer months. Here are nine trends that you should try out this winter season. 

❶ LEATHER

Sometimes the easiest and best way to wear leather is to simply throw on a leather jacket, which can instantly elevate your outfit to a whole new level of edginess. But going rebel chic isn’t the only avenue to explore when it comes to leather. Leather skirts can add an air of femininity to your outfit in an unexpected way. Wear your leather skirt with a jumper for an outfit that’s both edgy and comfortable.

Consider This: Steel the Show Skirt, ModCloth, $37.99
www.modcloth.com

❷ PULLOVER SWEATERS AND SKIRTS

Winter is the time to wear all your sweaters, all the time. It’s a look that’s extremely easy to pull off because it often involves items you will probably already own. Looking relaxed – not polished – is the objective here. Layer your most comfortable, oversized sweater over a skirt that you would usually reserve for business-casual settings.

❸ TURTLENECKS

It can be tempting to carry your fall basics into winter by throwing a heavy knit sweater over your collared shirts. But taking the easy route to dressing up is boring. Do things a little differently with layering this season by incorporating turtleneck shirts into your outfit. It’s a classic wardrobe staple that will do more than simply keep you warm. The versatility of the turtleneck makes dressing up or down wonderfully easy.

Consider This: Layering turtleneck, Joe Fresh $14
www.joefresh.com

❹ BLACK

To some, the idea of wearing head-to-toe black might seem a bit too dour. But with a few simple additions, your black ensemble will be anything but bleak. Consider throwing on a dark grey sweater over simple black pants. If you feel your outfit needs a little extra something, why not top it off with your coat, or a handful of your favourite accessories? Check below for another example.

Consider This: Black trousers, H&M $29.95, Black scarf, Guess $29.
www.hm.com
www.guess.ca/en

❺ MENSWEAR INFLUENCES

Feel free to go all the way with a tailored tuxedo blazer and trousers. You can also opt to add subtle menswear influences with a crisp shirt and neutral-toned oxfords. To put it simply, drawing inspiration from menswear nowadays means a lot more than simply borrowing your father’s old t-shirts.

Consider This: Contrast trimmed blazer, Forever 21 $45.80
www.canada.forever21.com

❻ EMERALD GREEN

Pantone recently declared 2013 to be the year of emerald green. Don’t bother waiting for the snow to melt to start introducing bold colours into your wardrobe. Chase away the winter blues with an emerald green coat on top of your usual winter ensemble. But if you’re feeling a bit colour shy, ease into emerald green slowly with accessories such as bracelets or toques.

Consider This: Ankle Slit Pant in emerald green, Joe Fresh $39
www.joefresh.com

❼ PRINTS

There is no doubt that prints are the defining trend of winter fashion for men. Balance the outfit out by keeping everything else neutral. Are printed trousers a bit too much for you? There is a plethora of knit sweaters in a variety of prints and colours this season.

Consider This: Printed crew neck pullover, Urban Outfitters $29.
www.urbanoutfitters.com

❽ BOLD COLOURS

Consider giving your standard blue jeans a break this winter season by turning them in for a pair of coloured bottoms. Colours such as cobalt blue and forest green are bold enough to distinguish you from the crowd. There’s no secret to successfully pulling off bold colours. A simple white t-shirt will give way to a very clean look, but the contrast between the dark hue of the pants and the white t-shirt will be quite striking. Or you can continue to keep things interesting by choosing to wear a printed knit sweater over your t-shirt.

Consider This: Stretch skinny jeans in bright blue, Zara $49.99
www.zara.com

❾ WORKWEAR BOOTS

While the Canadian winter has its mild moments, it’s very likely that you will spend the majority of the season walking in wet and snowy conditions. Workwear-inspired boots are key to making it through stormy weather with dry feet. Be sure to purchase boots with a thick sole instead of a flat, wooden one in order to prevent water from permeating the boots.

Consider This: Lace up boots, Zara $129
www.zara.com