Four years of negotiations over the future of the Transitional Year Programme (TYP) have reached an impasse, as a proposal that the program merge with the Faculty of Arts & Science met resistance from students.

“We have committed to a substantial addition to the TYP budget, if they become formally unified with the faculty they are in practice a part of. With such an administrative move, TYP  students would also have direct access to the excellent registrarial and support services provided through Woodsworth College,” said vice-provost, students, Jill Matus, in a statement delivered to a town hall on the future of the program.

The current argument remains, at its core, about the program’s $1.4 million budget.

Although there has been no decision to eliminate the program, reactions from student unions about the proposed changes have been loudly and strenuously opposed to the merger. One press release condemned the “slow suffocation” of the program, alleging that it was “forced to wind down as the University of Toronto starves the program for funding.”

“Having read the news release sent out by UTSU, I must say to the TYP  community that it is disheartening that so little attention is being paid to the facts in this matter,” said Provost Cheryl Misak. “There most certainly has been no decision to ‘eliminate’ TYP .”

While most divisions within the university receive some revenues, such as provincial grant money per student, Misak says the transitional year program receives “very little from the government per student,” and that most of its budget comes out of the university’s operating budget.

“Every year we use money from the university fund for operating expenses. We are entirely dependent on that,” says Thomas Mathien, the TYP’s associate director.

Program director Ahia Francis says the operating budget will remain flat if the program stays independent.

Without the increased budget that would come with the merger, Francis says the program will be unable to expand, and could face a long-term struggle to contain rising costs with inflation. The program has already been forced to downsize in recent years; while it once had 10 full-time faculty members, that number has been reduced to four. Four faculty members have retired and two positions have been downgraded to part-time status.

The program, which has been been an independent unit within the university for the past 40 years, offers a pathway into a degree program for adults lacking formal qualifications for admission. Designed for those who did not complete high school because of financial or family-related problems, each student in the program has access to an academic advisor, funding options, and other resources offered by the university. After one year of program coursework, students who pass become eligible for admission to the Faculty of Arts & Science.

“I was shaken to my core when I first heard about TYP  being under attack. TYP  has been life changing not only for myself but also for many in my community,” said Abinur Ahmed, an alumnus of the program. “To destroy such a successful program undermines the access and equity principals the University of Toronto claims to promote.”

“Those of us who come from marginalized communities are provided with an opportunity to access education despite our circumstances. TYP  makes available what is often systemically withheld from our communities ­— an opportunity,” adds Ahmed.

Misak says she remains hopeful that the TYP  will change their minds and create a “unified and stronger set of bridging programs for students in the Faculty of Arts & Science.” Negotiations between the faculty and the TYP  are ongoing.

Francis says he would like to see the provost assign a task force to survey submissions from the TYP  faculty and staff in order to come up with a new means of addressing the financing issues. Francis says the TYP  will continue to be active in its role to broaden the basis for admission and provide accessible education for all.

Of the TYP  entrants who get admitted into the Faculty of Arts &Science, on average half graduate with BAs. TYP  graduates have gone on to be employed with the Toronto District School Board, Ontario Ministry of Corrections, or have gone on to pursue graduate or professional studies.