One of the benefits of being connected to U of T’s massive community is the availability of a wide range of services here to help you.. Yet with so many resources at your disposal it is quite possible to completely overlook some of them. To many of us, these organizations can appear as just another line on our never-ending invoices for tuition and student fees. But for others, these niche communities offer a lifeline in a time of need, or a chance to nurture a new passion or friendship. The photos below show just a few of the many groups ready to help you out or show you something new.  You may not directly benefit from these services, but the hundreds of volunteers and dedicated individuals involved with them work together to strengthen the community we are all a part of here at U of T.

Sexual Education Centre (SEC)

MICHAEL CHAHLEY / THE VARSITY

The Sexual Education Centre, founded in 1976, aims to provide information, education, and supplies from all aspects of human sexuality in a nonjudgmental environment that fosters sex-positivity and understanding.

MICHAEL CHAHLEY / THE VARSITY

Conrad, Julian, Kayla, and Sarah are only a few of the 60 volunteers who help out regularly at SEC on a regular basis.

Bike Chain

MICHAEL CHAHLEY / THE VARSITY

Founded in 2005, Bike Chain operates a free educational bicycle repair space as well as running a free bicycle-lending program for students, aiming to promote bicycles as a form of sustainable transportation. Bike Chain is supported by a team of passionate student volunteers and also hires students for part-time work study positions to help with bike repairs and other duties.

MICHAEL CHAHLEY / THE VARSITY

At any given moment there are around a dozen active volunteers helping out at Bike Chain.  Kelly, Kate, Carter, and Troy are happy to help you maintain your bicycle.

Women’s Centre

Founded in 1986, The Centre for Women and Trans People advocates for equality for systemically marginalized groups, and is committed to making connections between U of T and other communities.  The centre is non-profit, volunteer driven, and seeks to prove a safe, secure, and supportive space for all students.

MICHAEL CHAHLEY / THE VARSITY

Kim and Sabera are two of the 80 active members that contribute to the Centre throughout the year.

Daycare

The Campus Community Cooperative Day Care Centre offers a safe place for children of students and faculty to stay during the workday.

Hot Yam

MICHAEL CHAHLEY / THE VARSITY

Hot Yam is a volunteer-run vegan kitchen. Those involved are passionate about food issues and strive to raise awareness about food accessibility and sustainability.

MICHAEL CHAHLEY / THE VARSITY

Oviya and Samiya volunteer every Wednesday at Cumberland House to cook a delicious four dollar vegan lunch.

View UTSU SERVICES in a larger map