As the criminal process proceeds, with Benjamin Levin granted $100 000 bail yesterday on seven charges related to child exploitation, the University of Toronto has declined to comment on what, if any, action it will take. Levin was arrested and charged on Monday. The charges against him have yet to be tested in court.

The terms of Levin’s bail seem to imply he will return to work at OISE. He is only permitted to use the internet at his work computer which is connected to, and can be monitored by, the university.

The university would not comment on whether Levin will resume his normal duites, which include teaching at OISE, as well as conducting research. Levin is a widely respected scholar in education. His research has been cited internationally, and he has helped design education systems around the world.

When asked if Levin’s duties will be changed or if he will face internal discipline, Michael Kennedy, issues and media relations officer for U of T, said: “The University will not be making any further comment at this time” and referred to a statement released Monday as the university’s official stance.

That statement refers to Levin as a ‘tenured faculty member’ and makes no statement as to whether Levin’s teaching or other duties will change.

Julie O’Sullivan, Dean of OISE, echoed Kennedy’s statements in an email sent today to all OISE faculty, staff, and students.

“OISE will not be commenting further at this time regarding the process it will be following” she wrote. She cited both the severity of the charges and the fact that Levin has denied them as points worth considering.

O’Sullivan did not address whether Levin, who directly supervises graduate students, in addition to his regular teaching duties, will have his role at OISE restricted in any way.