The app: See Toronto

Price: Free

Recommended?: Yes

Pros: Any visitor to Toronto can easily use this app to explore the city.  The app’s home page has a user-friendly design that is colorful and appealing to the eye. The app provides 6 city-navigation categories from which to choose and provides users with pre-selected itineraries ranging in theme from “First-Timers” and “LGBT Picks”. Other categories include Dining, Attractions, Shopping, Events and Services. The app functions quickly and is easy to navigate with very few ads.

Cons: The app uses data — users may find themselves going over their data limit from over-usage!

The app: Toronto in Time

Price: Free

Recommended?: Yes

Pros: This app is interesting, fun and educational! It provides the user with a list of different areas in Toronto, as well as a list of historical events and facts about locations in a given area. When the ‘Downtown’ area is selected, the user is shown over 107 historical stories, events and interesting pieces of information about downtown Toronto’s colorful history. The app is very user-friendly and  easy to navigate with few ads. Users can also choose from a variety of categories — such as sports, industry and arts. Recommended for Toronto natives — you might be surprised at how much you learn about the city!

Cons: The app could use more frequent updates. Some users have found inaccuracies with the placement of events and some historical facts.

The app: Toronto Maps and Walks

Price: Free (Lite Version) / $4.99 (Full Version)

Recommended?: No

Pros: The app provides the option of creating your own tour with a list of about 80 attractions around Toronto.  The pre-planned walks include a tour of Cabbagetown.

Cons: The free app only provides 10 walks around Toronto, which is a very small selection. There is an option to upgrade to the full version, but it is not worth the money. This app requires data and includes many ads.