U of T maintains a strict policy regarding alcohol consumption during Orientation Week, yet frosh executives from divisions across U of T acknowledge that nothing can completely eliminate the possibility of incoming students drinking. Orientation Week is typically “dry” meaning that alcohol use is not permitted, even for those who are of age.

Frosh leaders and executives at most U of T orientations are required to sign a contract stating they will not consume any alcohol while they are on duty at events.

MICHAEL CHAHLEY/THE VARSITY

Most Orientation Week events are dry; however there are many events throughout the week that are not sanctioned by Frosh Weeks but that many frosh go to—such as fraternity parties or club nights, that offer students the opportunity to drink.

Generally speaking, those orientation-sanctioned events that are “wet,” meaning that alcohol can be served, take place off campus — such as the utsu Club Night at Guvernment Night Club or the Boat Cruise held by Woodsworth College which offers of-age students access to a cash bar.

Brett Carson, a first-year student who just went through Frosh Week at St. Michael’s College, says that while he does not feel pressured to drink, “it is not particularly frowned upon.” Culturally, Frosh Week is often portrayed as a time for heavy drinking and practically there are often after-parties on residence where students of all ages can access alcohol. In preparation for incoming students, The Office of Student Life puts all frosh leaders through Joint Orientation Leader Training—which includes numerous discussions surrounding alcohol consumption, basic safety, and how to create non-judgemental environments for first-years.

U of T puts many staff through alcohol safety training, the official policy states: “Student training sessions such as event planning for residence don training, leadership training and orientation coordinator and leader training should all include information about alcohol, server intervention, harm reduction and safety awareness.”

Nevertheless, stopping frosh — let alone leaders from consuming alcohol can be difficult, regardless of policy. Alexandra Berceanu, orientation coordinator for the Faculty of Architecture — which only holds dry events explains: “events which have alcohol are not hosted by us, but are part of Frosh Week and cannot be excluded as such.”

Trinity College does hold some “wet” events during Frosh Week including two on campus parties — the Toga Party and the Melinda Seaman Party — where alcohol is served.

Mikhail Amyn, Trinity College Frosh Week co-chair says that: “just because alcohol is being served does not mean you are being pressured to drink.”

Amyn explains that orientation executives aim to foster an inclusive environment for students who choose not to drink, despite the presence of alcohol at “wet” events. At Trinity frosh events, a designated sober patrol team is responsible for helping to supervise.