University of Toronto professor and Canada Research Chair in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Dr. Robin Green and her research team suggest that brain injury is a chronic disease that causes continued deterioration to brain structure and function. Moderate to severe brain injuries were previously thought to cause damage in a finite period of time following the injury. Brain injuries can range in severity from a mild concussion to serious trauma.

As Dr. Green indicates, those who have experienced a TBI face consequences that last beyond the initial time of injury. But it’s not all bad news ­— Dr. Green and her colleagues believe that there may be a way to lessen the risk of continued progressive tissue deterioration in the brain. In its recent investigation, the team of researchers demonstrated that providing moderately-to-severely affected individuals with different types of stimulation— physical, social, or cognitive— resulted in reduced shrinking of the brain. This stimulation, termed “environmental enrichment,” included physical activity and engaging with others. Environmental enrichment appeared to be especially effective for memory. More research is needed to better understand the impact environmental enrichment can have, and to integrate it into recovery programs, Still, Dr. Green’s work brings hope for people suffering from debilitating and far-too-common brain injuries.