The students, faculty, and alumni at UTM have enjoyed the benefits offered at the school’s state of the art Recreation, Athletics, and Wellness Centre (RAWC) since it opened its doors in 2006. The centre boasts a series of special features, including a spacious double gymnasium with stadium-style seating, an indoor running track, a 25-metre swimming pool, an Olympic weight lifting room, and teaching studios that host a range of fitness classes throughout the year.

JACQUELINE ZIMMER/THE VARSITY

JACQUELINE ZIMMER/THE VARSITY

Over the last seven years, the RAWC has become a very popular location for both recreational athletes as well as for a number of competitive sporting championships at the intramural, varsity, and faculty levels.

The RAWC offers exciting and innovative sport instruction classes in tennis, golf, and squash. In addition, the centre offers a specialty course in martial arts as well as one in mind and body, incorporating elements of yoga, tai chi, pilates, and meditation. Some of these classes are registered classes while others are drop-in.

In addition to its athletic facilities, the RAWC is also home to one of two locations of The Sports Clinic (TSC), which provides services in modern sports medicine and rehabilitation. The team of sports medicine physicians, therapy specialists, and clinic coordinators at TSC offer first-rate specialized treatment to professional as well as recreational athletes. Some of the services offered are treatment for aches and pains, injury rehabilitation and prevention, and athletic performance enhancement.

The RAWC also offers a range of activities for children over the summer, such as swimming and tennis lessons and Camp U of T. Camp U of T allows children between the ages of five and 17 to choose from a number of summer sport programs like racquet camp, dance camp, and soccer camp, among others.

While free memberships are only available to registered U of T students, the RAWC also extends its membership to U of T staff, alumni, and other members of the community. The centre offers free drop-in orientation with the centre during operating hours for anyone with an interest in learning more about the facilities.

The RAWC offers a perfect opportunity for students looking for a break from their busy studying schedules. On weekdays, the centre is open from 6 am until 11 pm, and as of September 2013, has extended its weekend hours, which are now from 9 am until 8 pm.