Voting for the University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union (UTMSU) begins this Tuesday. Two of the candidates for executive positions are running uncontested, while the other three positions are contested.

Unopposed presidential candidate Hassan Havili, current-vice-president, part-time affairs, is running with four other candidates as Team Inspire. The slate’s vice-presidential candidates are: Melissa Theodore (current vice-president, external), for VP equity; Bryan Chelvanaigum for VP internal and services; Ebi Agbeyegbe for VP external; and Genny Lawen for VP  university affairs and academics.

Team Inspire’s platform points include lobbying for a fall reading week for UTM students, increasing study space on campus, working with cultural clubs to introduce a UTMSU multicultural week, fighting back against high tuition fees, and working to increase grants for students.

The slate is endorsed by a number of UTM campus groups, including the Middle Eastern Student Association, Power to Change, the Christian Unity Association, Caribbean Connections, the Somali Student Association, the Chess Club, the Cricket Club, the Students Against Israeli Apartheid, the Hindu Student Council, and Right to Play.

Chelvanaigum’s platform points include improving the services offered in the UTMSU copy centre, increasing the number of charging stations on campus, increasing UTMSU club funding, and pushing to have flex dollars and meal plans accepted at The Blind Duck.

Erik Hernandez-Oberding is also running for VP internal and services. Hernandez-Oberding’s platform points include creating a food centre where students can gather to eat and cook, creating a permanent LGBTQ+ space on campus, and addressing accessibility issues at the student centre.

Theodore’s platform points include increasing multi-faith space on campus, de-stigmatizing mental health, increasing equity materials, expanding the food bank, and facilitating the “know your rights” workshops.

Farishta Amanullah is also running for VP equity. Amanullah’s platform points include increasing awareness of mental health issues, lobbying for increased multi-faith space on campus, and increasing awareness of the work done by the UTMSU.

The position of VP part-time affairs is contested by Amir Hossain Moazzami and Hassan Chughtai. Moazzami’s platform points include bridging what he sees as a gap between UTMSU and its members, and fighting student apathy. Chughtai’s platform centres around increasing support for part-time students.

Most positions on the UTMSU board of directors are also contested. Abdul Hadi Tariq, Daniel Alexander Lyght, Nikhil Singh Chhabra, Heba Abuamra, Ramello Lorenzo Peralta, Ryan Mukesh Persaud, Nyasha Chikowore, Larsen Manns, Ayman Abu-Shaban, Ahmed Qureshi, and Mariam Assaad are all in the running for four open director at large positions. There are seven positions as central director at large. Bilal Raifai, Emerson Peter Calcada, Sharmel Kavita Bhiro, Nirmal Patel, Naveed Ahmed, and Maaham Malik are all running for the position.

Voting in the election ends on March 27.