On Tuesday April 29, the University Affairs Board (UAB) of  U of T’s Governing Council convened for its penultimate meeting of the school year, during which several student members raised the issue of alleged UTSU misconduct during the recent election.

Student governor Aidan Fishman proposed a motion to delay an fee increase in funding for the UTSU until a decision on UTSU’s alleged election misconduct has been made — a motion that failed ten to five votes against.

Vice-provost, students Jill Mathus, explained to the board that, although they have begun to investigate these complaints, the office of the Provost will first draft a letter to UTSU asking for their comment on the alleged incidents before a decisions will be made. She added that any decision from the administration will be delayed until UTSU has a chance to respond to these allegations.

Vip Vigneswaran, the campaign manager for Team Unite during the election, spoke in favour of a delay in a fee increase. Vigneswaran remarked after the meeting that although the fee increase that UTSU was requesting was procedurally correct he believed that if it had failed, “it would have sent a strong message to the student body regarding the conduct of the UTSU this past year, and their conduct during the election.”

Aidan Fishman echoed these comments, and reiterated his disappointment with the result of this vote. “I was upset initially with the turnout of the vote regarding the withholding of increased funding for the UTSU, although the financial procedure must be respected. It is telling, however, to note that several of the student representatives on the council voted against this increase, displaying a lack of confidence of the council body in the membership of UTSU,” he said.

The rest of the council meeting focused on other student society fees, which were all passed unanimously, as well an annual report from both the provost’s Mental Health Committee and from the Equity Office.

The last UAB meeting of the school year will be held on May 27, at which time a decision from the administration on many of these allegations is expected to be made, along with a final report from the Student Societies Summit.