With less than a quarter of the season remaining, the Toronto Maple Leafs collapsed earlier this year, falling out of playoff contention with only one regulation win in the final 14 games.
The Toronto Raptors fared slightly better, surprisingly clawing their way to being crowned Atlantic Division champions and hosting the billion dollar–backed Brooklyn Nets in the first round. The Raptors’ postseason glory was short-lived as the season’s work vanished in less than five seconds with the Raptors losing game seven, and “we the north” going up in smoke.

With the weather warming up, attention has shifted from the shortcomings witnessed within the walls of the ACC to the successes happening outside the stadium.

At BMO field, coach Ryan Nelsen has the Toronto FC eyeing first place with three games in hand. The FC look strong with Michael Bradley, one of the best players that the United States has to offer; clinical finisher and English international Jermain Defoe; and Julio Cesar, Brazil’s number one between the posts. Reaching the postseason for the first time in franchise history is no longer an afterthought but a conversation starter.

The Toronto Blue Jays, like their TFC compatriots, are jockeying for their division title in the heavily stacked American League East. Coming off of a horrendous season marred by injuries and underachievement, the Blue Jays appear poised for their first postseason appearance in 20 years. With the eighth highest league payroll, the pressure is on the players to perform — and that’s exactly what they have given fans at the season’s quarter mark.

Although the spotlight may be on the major Toronto sports teams, quietly flying under the radar is the Toronto Rush. Calling Varsity Stadium home, the Rush, Toronto’s very own professional ultimate disc team, finished their undefeated 2013 inaugural season with the American Ultimate Disc League championship title. Picking up where they left off, the Rush have started the 2014 season undefeated and looking to repeat last year’s success.