University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union (UTMSU) President Nour Alideeb has been elected as the Chairperson for the Ontario branch of the Canadian Federation of Students’ (CFS) for the upcoming 2017­–2018 year.

Alideeb was elected during CFS-Ontario’s four-day long semi-annual general meeting, which took place in Toronto from January 19–22. She replaces Rajean Hoilett, who is a former President of the Ryerson Students’ Union.

According to CFS-Ontario bylaws, the Chairperson’s roles and responsibilities include working with government officials, being a provincial representative for the Federation, overseeing campaigns, supervising staff, and chairing Executive Committee Meetings.

“I’m very excited to take my passion, skills and experiences to a provincial level,” said Alideeb. “I look forward to working with students across the province and specifically at the St. George campus because it’s so close to home,” said Alideeb.

Also elected at the meeting was Trina James, currently Vice-President of Campus Life for the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union. James was elected as Treasurer for the 2017–2018 year.

“The UTMSU has had many great victories because of the support we’ve received from the Federation and other member student unions,” Alideeb continued. “I also look forward to having real and important conversations about where we want to take this Federation because of the political climate here in the country, and around the world.”

A few days after Alideeb and James’ election, the University of Toronto Students’ Union released a statement outlining their support for decertifying from the CFS.