Nour Alideeb, the former University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union (UTMSU) President, has been re-elected as Chairperson for the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) in Ontario.

Alideeb served as the UTMSU President during the 2016–2017 year, and was first elected as Chairperson for the Ontario chapter of the CFS in January 2017.

Alideeb told The Varsity that moving from a local perspective at U of T and shifting to a provincial scope “has been an eye-opening experience as a chairperson.”

She named the implementation of the Ontario Student Grant, the 2017 college faculty strike, and Bill 148 — Ontario’s 2017 Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act — as inspiration to keep pushing for change for students through the organization. “I love and believe in this work too much to move on just yet,” Alideeb said.

Alideeb highlighted the CFS’ new campaign, “Fairness for Students,” as a major project for the federation in a provincial and municipal election year. The campaign focuses on twelve student priorities related to accessing post-secondary education.

The Chairperson, alongside representing Ontario to the national CFS, coordinates the organization’s campaigns and works with government officials.