A month before the year-end exam season is set to begin, the University of Toronto is now saying that students will have to request late accommodations through Accessibility Services (AS) instead of the central Test and Exam Services (TES).

The change will be effective November 19, meaning that late requests will only be considered once a student’s advisor at AS provides verification to TES. The deadline for requesting accommodations is two weeks in advance of the exam date.

“The idea was that this would streamline things and make it easier for students who are eligible for consideration,” U of T spokesperson Elizabeth Church said. “Before, they would go to Test and Exam Services, and then the people there would contact the student’s advisor.”

According to TES, late accommodation requests will only be considered in four circumstances. This includes if the professor changes the date of the test, if the student breaks a limb, if the student is writing a deferred exam and could not book within the 14-day registration deadline, or if there is an emergency, which is defined as hospitalization, serious family circumstances, or unforeseeable situations.

The registration deadline for exams during the coming December period is November 16.

If a student misses the regular registration deadline, they have some options, according to TES: contact their Accessibility Services Advisor, write the exam without any accommodations, or — in the case of a final exam — file a petition to defer with their respective registrar.