The University of Toronto’s Student Newspaper Since 1880

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

Ammonia leak reported at Lash Miller Chemical Labs

Two people taken to the hospital
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
imageedit_1_8150702968

On Friday, August 31, Toronto Fire dispatched crews to the Lash Miller Chemical Labs at around 1:20 pm following reports of an ammonia leak. 

According to CP24, two people were taken to the hospital with “minor injuries.” The building has been closed and the leak is contained to one room in Lash Miller. 

The exact cause of the leak is not known yet, and an investigation is underway, CP24 reports. 

Ammonia is a colourless gas with a characteristic pungent odour. 

According to the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, ammonia is “very toxic” when inhaled, and can cause corrosion upon exposure to the skin and eyes. Ammonia is flammable, posing “a significant fire and explosion hazard” when exposed to high heat.  

In a statement made to The Varsity, University spokesperson Elizabeth Church confirmed that U of T’s Environmental Health and Safety staff investigated the leak. “Air testing was done as a precaution. The air was found safe and the room was reopened that day.”

The two individuals taken to the hospital were released the same day.

Editor’s Note (September 8): This article was updated to include comment from U of T.