On January 4, the Toronto Police Service (TPS) arrested and charged a man connected to the ongoing voyeurism investigation on the UTSG campus with five counts of voyeurism and six counts of mischief. Following the arrest, U of T’s Campus Safety released a community safety alert to notify U of T community members of the arrest. 

The incidents

From July to October 2023, individuals reported multiple voyeurism incidents in the Spadina Avenue and Willcocks Street area to Campus Safety. In collaboration with Campus Safety, the TPS investigated the reported incidents.

On October 24, Campus Safety emailed out a community safety alert to U of T community members, more than two months after they sent an initial alert in August announcing an incident of voyeurism. In the email, Campus Safety alerted recipients that they had received multiple reports of an individual entering women’s washrooms and all-gender showers at New College.

In some of the incidents, the individual placed a cell phone under the bathroom stalls, allegedly recording those inside the stall. 

TPS investigators believe that there are more victims than those who have come forward to make reports and encourage anyone with information to contact the police or Crime Stoppers — an organization that provides anonymous tips to police agencies.

Resources for students

Following Campus Safety’s community safety alert, New College Against Sexual Assault & Harassment (NASAH) — a student advocacy group that provides support and resources for students — posted a story sharing its peer support program. Students can sign up for peer support by filling out a form available in the group’s Instagram bio. After the form is completed, the NASAH team will reach out to the student and connect them with a Peer Support Coordinator.

In its community safety alert, Campus Safety highlighted a number of university resources available to support U of T community members. 

The university’s Sexual Violence Prevention and Support Centre helps those affected by sexual violence or sexual harassment access counselling; medical services; academic or work accommodations; and financial and legal aid. 

U of T’s Community Safety Office provides short-term support to those who have experienced personal safety concerns — including stalking, harassment, bullying, intimidation, and threats. The office provides consultations, women’s self-defence sessions, and education and training initiatives related to safety. 

The U of T Campus Safety App also offers a number of programs, including TravelSafer — a 24-hour service that allows U of T community members to connect with Campus Safety escorts when travelling between campus buildings or to adjacent TTC stations — and Mobile Bluelight — which allows users to send their location to Campus Safety and call for help in the event of an emergency.