This year, November 11 marked the 100th anniversary of the opening of Hart House, one of the oldest student centres in North America. A yearlong series of events and exhibits has been dedicated to the milestone’s celebration, including a fundraising gala, concerts, and fairs, along with new historical and artistic exhibits throughout the building that highlight its history.

Key celebrations

Hart House kicked off the celebrations on November 12 with the Gala of the Century. The gala unveiled the Hart House Centennial Art Commission, which is a sculptural piece by Anishinaabe artist Rebecca Belmore and Cuban-born artist Osvaldo Yero. The piece, titled waabidiziiyan doopwining, meaning “to see yourself at the table,” is intended to recognize the history of Indigenous peoples. Upcoming events include a series of concerts featuring the Hart House Jazz Ensemble, among others.

“The Hart House 100th Anniversary Advisory Committee was set up over a year ago and we have students involvement at the strategic planning level since the beginning,” wrote Davina Chan, Senior Director of Marketing, Communications and Information Services at Hart House. “We plan each of the events with the lens of ensuring the regular operations of what Hart House offers remains uninterrupted.”

History of Hart House

Hart House was commissioned by the prominent Massey family as a gift to U of T, with the aim to build a student centre for non-academic student communities and activities. Vincent Massey named the building after his grandfather, Hart Massey. The building’s construction began in 1911, and it opened officially on November 11, 1919. During World War I, it was used for trench warfare drills. Students enlisted in the Canadian Officers’ Training Corps used a set designed by Lawren Harris to look like a war-torn Belgian village for rifle practice — Harris later became a famous Canadian landscape artist.

It continues to host a number of student-run clubs and events throughout the year. Hart House debates have hosted generations of U of T alumni to debate issues like the notwithstanding clause, and has hosted speakers such as John F. Kennedy, Margaret Atwood, and Noam Chomsky.

The place of women at Hart House

Until 1972, women were not admitted as full members — as Vincent Massey’s donation specified that the building not allow women, which was not changed until his death. In 1954, women were allowed to enter after 3:00 pm, and later a women’s washroom and women’s entrance were added.

In 1957, when future US president John F. Kennedy debated Stephen Lewis, female students were not allowed to attend. This incited a protest of Hart House’s exclusion of women, and some women even attempted to enter disguised as men. When security saw their nail polish, they were removed, and joined the protests.