The best whipped coffee for coffee enthusiasts, by Mona Liu

As the school year progresses and work begins to pile up, this recipe is the best way to start your day or get you through some last-minute cramming.

I’m sure most people with access to the internet have heard of, or even tried, whipped — or dalgona — coffee by now. But if you’re like me and enjoy a “double shot on ice, half sweet” over an iced latte, you might also prefer actually being able to taste the coffee in your drink.

Thus, adding cold brew and milk to the drink creates a richer, more refreshing, and perfectly balanced bittersweet iced coffee.

Ingredients:

For the cold brew:

1 cup of your favourite ground coffee beans

3 cups of cold filtered water

A large mason jar

Half a sheet of paper towel

An elastic band or mason jar band

A coffee filter or cheesecloth

For the whipped coffee — also known as dalgona coffee:

1 tablespoon instant coffee

1 tablespoon (light) brown sugar

1 tablespoon warm water

1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preferred milk

A frother, whisk, handmixer, or fork

Directions:

For the cold brew, put the ground coffee beans in the jar, then fill with cold water. You can also use a French press to make straining easier.

Place the paper towel on the opening and close the lid or elastic band around it to let the brew breathe.

Refrigerate overnight for 12–20 hours, depending on how strong you want the coffee.

The next day, strain your brew into a new jar with your filter. You now have a fresh cold brew that will last about a week in the fridge.

For the whipped coffee, add equal portions of your instant coffee, brown sugar, vanilla, and water into a cup.

Using your mixer, beat ingredients until the mixture reaches a fluffy, meringue-like consistency.

Grab a separate drinking cup, preferably about 1.5 cups in volume.

Fill half of your glass with ice and pour your cold brew halfway.

Fill the rest with milk, leaving some space on top.

Scoop in your whipped coffee.

If you like, you can top it off with a drizzle of caramel. Mix well and enjoy!

Notes:

The classic recipe calls for white sugar, which also tastes and whips great. However, brown sugar, when paired into the cold brew, allows hints of molasses to accentuate the natural toasted taste of the cold brew — it is also healthier.

You can also make a larger whipped coffee batch using equal portions of the ingredients and store it in the freezer to use other days so you don’t have to go through the tedious mixing process every time you want it.

Personally I prefer to use coconut or almond milk because it gives a lighter, refreshing taste, but cow milk will also taste great and smooth. Also, as a rule of thumb, cold brew needs to be diluted with one to one or one to two ratios of water or milk because of its concentrated brew.

Hot cocoa for one, by Nancy Dutra

When it comes to hot chocolate, I know what I like and I expect a lot. My cocoa concoction must

satisfy and spark fuzzy feelings akin to being wrapped in a warm blanket. In other words, it must

make everything better — even if only temporarily. I like my chocolate rich and my milk creamy and I add toppings according to my mood and the season. Garnishing my chocolat chaud with whipped cream is always a treat. But adding torched marshmallows gives this comforting drink a layer of decadence and evokes fond memories of campfires with family and friends.

Ingredients:

1 cup whole milk or milk substitute

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1–2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Pinch of salt

Whipped cream (optional)

Torched marshmallows (optional)

Directions:

Whisk together milk with the cocoa, sugar, and salt over medium heat until the cocoa and sugar have dissolved.

Add remaining milk and stir frequently until scalding and bubbles appear on sides of the saucepan but the milk is not quite boiling.

Then, turn off the heat and add desired toppings.

Sit back, let go of the day, and savour the experience.

Pumpkin spice latte recipe for the fall, by Candice Zhang

The season for the notorious pumpkin spice latte has arrived, again. The term ‘pumpkin spice’ was first introduced in a recipe published in 1936, and around 67 years later, Starbucks introduced its own pumpkin spice latte drink to the market.

However, there was quite a catch; Starbucks never actually used pumpkin as an ingredient until 2015.

Since we are making our own pumpkin spice latte, we can add whatever ingredients we want to make the beverage healthier. If you are interested in making your own pumpkin spice latte at home, follow the recipe below!

Ingredients:

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree

1/2–1 tablespoon of sugar

1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon black coffee

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon of caramel sauce

Whipped cream

Plastic wrap

Directions:

Put the milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract in a bowl together.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and poke a small hole.

Heat it in the microwave for around two to three minutes.

Whisk the ingredients until a foamy texture is achieved.

Pour the coffee into a separate cup.

Add the previous mixture to the coffee and caramel.

Stir and finish with whipped cream.