What is a yummy and healthy smoothie recipe?

Food should nourish not only your physical health but also your mental health. Whether you are working through assignments or relaxing, a good smoothie could be an antidote to the dreary days or a sweetener that makes your great days even sweeter. 

Your smoothie can achieve that effect by including ingredients that you like and, more importantly, that are beneficial to your physical well-being. 

Smoothies should smell good as well as they taste: they can contain agreeable scents that comfort and relax you. You can add aromatic ingredients to your smoothies to spice them up. 

Healthy smoothies should be made from fresh ingredients — try avoiding canned ingredients. Moreover, the World Health Organization warns against consuming too much sugar so as not to increase the risk of diabetes and heart diseases. It is important to keep in mind that fruits used for smoothies usually already contain a lot of fructose. Thus, you should avoid further sugary additions like syrups or artificial sweeteners to help you stay healthy. 

Besides, as EatingWell and Prevention suggest, ingredients in good smoothies should provide a wide range of balanced nutrients: antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and fibres. Smoothies are a great way to get nutritious ingredients in your system that you otherwise wouldn’t enjoy eating because less appealing flavours can be hidden when blended with yummier things!

Below is a smoothie recipe that includes a banana, which has potassium that is good for your muscles; an orange, which contains vitamin C that can reduce stress; and dark chocolate, which can improve brain functioning. Give this healthy and easy-to-make recipe a try!

Ingredients:

For the smoothie:

1 medium banana

1 medium orange 

1 Bartlett pear 

1 handful of spinach

1 1/2 cups of milk or yogurt of your choice

For the topping:

2 tablespoons of chopped nuts of your choice 

Some dark chocolate shards or chunks

Directions:

1. Peel the banana and orange.
  2. Slice the banana and cut the orange and pear into small chunks.
  3. Put the fruit into the blender and add a handful of spinach.
  4. Pour in the milk or yogurt. 
  5. Blend!
  6. Pour the smoothie into a cup and add your toppings.
  7. Voilà! Enjoy your smoothie.

Do you have a health or fitness question? Email [email protected] with your question for a chance to get anonymously featured!