As the pandemic soars on and gym doors remain barred, we’re all left to our own devices at home in our own ‘swamps.’ Of course, as U of T Sport & Recreation and fitness influencers have moved online, there is no shortage of online workouts, and YouTube has a splattering of various exercise videos. 

Among this shift to online workouts, however, another being has emerged: themed workouts that are customized to pop culture phenomena. Scrolling through, we decided to try a Shrek-themed high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout and let you know what’s up.

The Shrek-themed workout in question, titled “SHREK HIIT WORKOUT-SHREK IS LOVE. SHREK IS LIFE. SHREK IS WORK,” is offered by Emily of emkfit, a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor. She endearingly calls her followers “clowns,” which is exactly what we felt like as we were doing some of the goofy dance moves.

Her philosophy is “wrong and strong,” and she encourages her followers to dance along as best they can and own their mistakes. Throughout the video, she offers alternatives to the more high-impact moves and encourages everyone to work at their own comfort level. Her channel is also home to a number of other themed HIIT workouts that are perfect doses of nostalgia, ranging from Mamma Mia, to Hamilton, to Just Dance. 

You’re probably wondering by now: ‘What exactly makes it Shrek-themed?’ Besides Emily’s green workout outfit, the answer is the pumped up soundtrack, plot-inspired moves, and an epic 40-second dramatic monologue of her dancing with her pug. 

We warmed up with the quintessential Shrek song: “All Star” by Smash Mouth. Following along with neck stretches and body rolls, we wondered what adventures were to come. Expect to hear all of the classic tunes — we were particularly excited by the Fairy Godmother version of “Holding Out for a Hero” and the equally epic dance moves that came with it in a perfect mid-workout crescendo.

Despite the cheesy aerobic moves, this workout was no joke. The workout only runs about 25 minutes, but the short time frame is made up for through quick, tight movements and choreography, as Emily incorporated full-body exercises and tried-and-true HIIT techniques that left us sweating and sore the next day. Do you know how many muscles are activated by pretending to ride a noble steed and looking out for Princess Fiona? A lot. 

If you are a beginner, you will probably find these moves understandably silly and unexpectedly challenging. We recorded high heart rates and sweated like, well, ogres, so remember to hydrate before, during, and after completing this workout! Emily frequently stops to give you 10 seconds of rest during each song, which is a perfect hydration and breathing break.

We recommend this workout for the Shrek lover, the HIIT fanatic, and anyone looking to spice up their life in lockdown. It’s important to remember that a good workout routine has layers, and, as the fitness world can feel intimidating, sometimes laughing it out while you sweat it out is the best way to get back into a sustainable workout routine.