The University of Toronto Mississauga Students’ Union (UTMSU) held its board meeting on May 26, which consisted primarily of appointing board members to staff the new board’s committees, as well as discussion about new UTMSU initiatives and how to smoothly transition the new UTMSU executives into their positions. 

As the newly elected executives transition into their positions, they have been working in tandem with various student groups such as the Canadian Federation of Students to see what resources are at their disposal. 

Over the summer, the UTMSU plans to release four new types of bursaries: the summer childcare bursary, the COVID-19 summer grant, the summer needs-based bursary, and transit grants. Moreover, it has been working with the City of Toronto to review regulations on multi-tenant housing. It has also been working with international students on vaccinations and health insurance.

The union also finalized its itinerary for Pride month and Indigenous History Month, starting on June 1. It will be running educational sessions for both, throughout the month of June, in order to raise awareness. Announcements about programming will be made on social media. 

For the new academic year, the union is working on housing, gym, and rental equipment, as well as an exchange program for textbooks. The union hopes to provide students with an equity handbook to navigate the resources available to them. It’s also steadily planning orientation for first-year students and working to publish a ‘survival guide’ for them in the coming September.

Editor’s note (June 19): Article has been updated to clarify that the elections held during the meeting were not held to elect new directors, but to elect committee members from within the existing board of directors.