U of T will not require students to be vaccinated to return to campus in the fall, when most courses are expected to be in-person. The university is encouraging students to be back in Toronto for the beginning of the fall semester, stating that in-person components of most courses will not be offered online. 

The requirements differ for returning to campus for classes and staying in residence. U of T residences will require students to have at least the first dose of a vaccine before their residence move-in date or up to 14 days after moving in. 

Although U of T has not made vaccines a requirement for in-person learning, the university will be complying with any changes to public health requirements. The university encourages students to get the “first WHO-approved vaccine” available in their country. 

“We know that there may be students that do not have access to vaccines, and we are working with our health care partners to make it as easy as possible for students – including those arriving from outside Canada – to get fully vaccinated this fall,” wrote a spokesperson for the university in an email to The Varsity. 

While in-person learning will not require the first dose of the vaccine, the university strongly encourages students to get vaccinated against COVID-19. Requirements and regulations will continue to change with the fast-paced nature of the pandemic as the university follows public health guidelines.

Students returning to campus will be required to check in to campus via UCheck, a system instituted last year to identify a COVID-19 risk status. 

UCheck a self-assessment program for COVID-19 symptoms made available to everyone on campus electronically. UCheck calculates the risk status of each individual that comes to campus, either faculty or student. This risk status determines if the individual is authorized to visit campus. For those that cannot complete UCheck with an electronic device, a paper-based option is also available. 

The dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS), Melanie Woodin, released a statement on June 22 saying that FAS students will have the option of attending the first two weeks of classes virtually to accommodate for quarantine guidelines.