Lwanga Musisi is a fifth-year PhD candidate in the Department of Social Justice Education at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. Musisi is running for president of the University of Toronto Graduate Students’ Union (UTGSU) after serving two years as university governance commissioner. 

“Three years ago, with your support we embarked on a journey to make our student union more accessible not only for minority student groups on and off campus, but for us as a whole,” wrote Musisi in his candidate statement. Musisi feels that his two years as a commissioner for the UTGSU make him uniquely prepared and tested to take on the presidential role. 

He pointed to his work on the UTGSU Mental Health campaign, which he hopes to continue, as an example of his priorities. 

“A vote for me would be a vote for pushing for a revised budget that allocates more funding and resources towards graduate students’ mental health and wellbeing; calling for a revamped student centered approach concerning the University Mandated Leave of Absence Policy (UMLAP); and a call for innovative approaches to increase awareness across our campuses through courses, programmes and initiatives aimed at not only curbing mental health stigma on and off campus, but also centering our voices and experiences,” wrote Musisi. 

Lwanga Musisi did not respond to The Varsity’s request for comment in time for publication. 

Voting for the UTGSU elections opens on April 8 and closes on April 14 at 11:59 pm.