There are a number of candidates for the MPP seat in the Mississauga—Erin Mills riding — the electoral district in which the UTM campus is located. 

The Varsity profiled four of the candidates, considering their stance on housing affordability, climate change, and health care. 

The provincial election is set for June 2, and eligible students can register to vote through Elections Ontario.

Sheref Sabawy, Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario MPP candidate

Sheref Sabawy is running for reelection as the MPP for the Mississauga—Erin Mills riding under the Progressive Conservative (PC) Party of Ontario.

Prior to his successful candidacy with the PC Party in the 2018 provincial election, Sabawy was a member of the Liberal Party. He had attempted to secure the Liberal MP nomination for Mississauga—Erin Mills in the 2015 federal election. However, he lost the nomination to Iqra Khalid, who has held the MP position for Mississauga—Erin Mills since 2015. 

After his successful campaign in 2018, Sabawy became the first Egyptian to be elected as an MPP in Ontario. 

As the incumbent, Sabawy has been the parliamentary assistant to the minister of heritage, sport, tourism and culture industries in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario since 2019. 

Throughout his term, Sabawy was a strong proponent of improving public transit. He has been involved in pushing for the development of the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (LRT), which is scheduled for completion in fall 2024. When the LRT project opens, it will be known as the Hazel McCallion Line, and will offer 19 new stops over 18 kilometres. It has been a central commitment of the PC Party in Mississauga and Brampton for the June election.

Imran Mian, Ontario Liberal Party MPP candidate

Imran Mian is the Liberal Party MPP candidate for the Mississauga—Erin Mills riding. 

According to the biography on his official website, Mian calls himself a “strong community advocate.”

Mian has worked with various community groups in Mississauga. He has helped raise funds for Trillium Health Partners — a tri-centre hospital working to provide health care that is affordable and accessible. 

He has also served as the founding co-chair of the United Way of Peel Region’s South Asian Advisory Council. The United Way of Peel Region confronts poverty in the Peel Region and seeks to provide “immediate and lasting solutions.” The South Asian Advisory Council is one of three diversity councils meant to deepen the organization’s understanding of its diverse community. 

Mian’s platform focuses on housing affordability, health care, and climate change. He also promises to increase funding for the public education system.

Farina Hassan, Ontario New Democratic Party MPP candidate

Farina Hassan is the Ontario New Democratic Party (NDP) candidate running for the MPP seat in the Mississauga—Erin Mills riding. 

Hassan graduated from York University with an undergraduate degree in economics and human rights and equity. Since then, she has cultivated an extensive background in banking and finance. 

She is also a community advocate in the Mississauga—Erin Mills riding; housing affordability is one of the focuses of her work.  

If elected, Hassan hopes to make life “more affordable for families” in Mississauga—Erin Mills and across Ontario. To achieve this goal, Hassan will prioritize improving Ontario’s health care system. 

She aims to increase investments to the health-care system and expand coverage such that it includes “pharmacare, dental care, and mental health care.” 

Hassan also supports the NDP’s plans of increasing investment in education and creating accessible local jobs.

Michelle Angkasa, Green Party of Ontario MPP candidate

Michelle Angkasa is the Green Party candidate running for the MPP seat in the Mississauga—Erin Mills riding. 

Currently, Angkasa is a third-year student at the University of Waterloo in the Environment and Business program.

Angkasa hopes to achieve a goal of net zero carbon emissions by 2045 and supports the NDP’s climate plan designed for this purpose. She believes that prioritizing social and economic justice will best address the climate crisis. 

Her campaign priorities also include health care and housing affordability. 

In an email to The Varsity, Angkasa discussed student debt and student mental health. “Investing in students is a priority for me. No one should miss out on the opportunity to further their education because of financial reasons, or have to struggle to make ends meet while studying,” wrote Angkasa. 

She affirmed the Green Party’s intention to increase funding for the Ontario Student Assistance Program and modify loans taken out by low- and middle-income students to grants.

Angkasa emphasized the mental health components of her agenda, explaining that the Green Party will work to ensure the availability of mental health services for all Ontario residents. The party has also pledged to introduce mobile crisis response teams and crisis centres to reduce wait times for mental health services.