With the Toronto mayoral byelection right around the corner, you might be wondering how you can cast your vote. If you’re currently feeling confused about any part of the voting process, you don’t need to fret. Here is The Varsity’s breakdown of, where, and when you can vote on election day — which is Monday, June 26, from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible to vote if you are a Canadian citizen and at least 18 years old; you must also live in Toronto or rent or own property in the city. Students who live in the city to attend school but whose home municipality is not Toronto are eligible to vote in their home municipality and in Toronto. You may only vote once in the election, regardless of how many properties you rent or own in Toronto. 

Eligible voters who do not currently have a permanent address — such as voters experiencing homelessness — can still vote. If you do not have any ID with your name and address, you must get a Certificate of Identity and Residence form — which is a temporary form of ID — from the administrator of the shelter, food bank, or community health care facility you go to most often. 

If you were on the voters’ list as of May 14, you should have received a voter identification card (VIC) in the mail on or after May 23. If you did not receive a voter identification card, you can check your voter registration status and access your VIC using MyVote. If your name is not on the voters’ list when you arrive at your voting location, you can add yourself by providing identification with your name and Toronto address. 

What do I need to bring on election day?

On election day, ensure that you bring identification with your name and Toronto address. Your address can be your current Toronto residence or the address where you most recently lived to attend school if you do not currently live in Toronto but will continue your studies in the upcoming school year. 

Acceptable forms of identification include an Ontario driver’s license or photo card, university transcript or documentation of residence, a lease or rental agreement, or a utility bill. Bringing your voter identification card is not mandatory, but it is recommended to speed up the process.

According to the City, all voting locations on election day will be accessible. Voter assist terminals (VAT) — electronic voting machines that allow voters with disabilities to mark their ballots independently — are available at some voting locations. If you require a VAT and it is not available at your polling location, you can request to transfer your ballot by calling 416-338-1111 and pressing 6. 

Eligible voters can also request a ballot transfer if they will experience other voting barriers at their designated polling location. If you experience barriers to voting of any kind, you can contact the City of Toronto’s dedicated accessibility telephone line — at 416-338-1111 and press 6 — or email [email protected]

Where do I go?

When voting on election day, you must go to your assigned polling location, unless you have requested a ballot transfer. You can check your voter identification card or go to the City of Toronto’s voting locations page to find it. You can also use MyVote. 

Students living on or near the St. George campus can find their voting locations on the Ward-11 map. Students living on or near the Scarborough campus can find their voting locations on the Scarborough—Rouge Park map

If you have any other questions about how or where to vote on election day or are experiencing barriers to vote of any kind, call 311 or email [email protected].