An event for a persecuted spiritual group drew a crowd of students and citizens to Nathan Phillips Square last Saturday to support practitioners being persecuted by the Chinese government.

Friends of Falun Gong’s Day of Peace and Compassion was held to “inspire people to make the world better through their actions and by our example to promote peace and compassion in our community and around the world,” according to organizer Jason Loftus.

“We just oppose the people in China being tortured, though I myself don’t practice it. we still support the cause,” said David Hays, a volunteer with Amnesty International.

Over 20 groups sponsored the Day of Peace and Compassion, including the United Nations Association in Canada, Amnesty International, Toronto MPs, and the U of T’s and Ryerson’s Students’ Administrative Councils.

“Students are the future, they are very important…if we start giving this message to people, they can start thinking about peace and compassion and live better together,” said Jie Zhou, a volunteer from the Friends of Falun Gong.

The plight of Falun Gong practitioners has attracted much international attention in recent years. Followers of Falun Gong promote alternative medicine and meditation techniques as a way of life. Practitioners say their basic principles are founded on peace, compassion and tolerance.

In its effort to crack down on the Falun Gong for its open demonstrations, the Chinese government has allegedly imprisoned, beaten and tortured practitioners, sending some to labour camps.

“What people can do to support this is to write letters to their local government,” said Loftus. “If many people do that, the government officials will be more aware that the Canadian people are concerned about the issue.”

The Day of Peace and Compassion included stage performances, music, cultural dances, meditation exercises, workshops, displays, storytelling and face painting.

Gemini Award winner and Road To Avonlea star Michael Mahonen hosted the event. MP Colleen Beaumier and MPP George Smitherman were among the guest speakers.