Every once in a while someone so incredibly unique comes into your life that you have to stop and go, “What the heck was that?” Guess what? Local musician/psychology/politics/philosophy student Ian Plex is one of those people, times ten. An artist’s artist, his deep love of music exudes a certain vitality (and encyclopedic knowledge about every musical genre and instrument gear imaginable) that is infectious, invigorating and undeniably enjoyable. Melding some of the most unlikely sources, his music has become fiendishly sought after by ravenous fans. Celebrating the release of his latest album, The Early Ian Plex (a collection of teenage solo recordings), this multi-faceted performer ponders his exceptional creation.

“Initially the concept was a free album for the people in my building. I mean, who’s going to run out and buy some album from a guy they’ve never heard of, right? So I struck deals: if you have a CD-R, I have a CD. I mean, my music has got to be better than a bunch of zeros.” Diving into his pitch, Plex becomes animated. “I alter the disc. Now it plays something psychedelic. I even wrap a paper sleeve around it!”

Yes, but how does it sound? “Well, I tried desperately to make it the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds romp in backwardsland. Generally my music sounds like video game music anyway, ’cause I’m inspired by VNES—the original 8-bit Nintendo. I like those songs. I sound a bit like Super Mario.”

Through collaborating with a bevy of fellow indie musicians over the past four years, Plex’s style has (thankfully) altered drastically, enhanced by a revolving door of bandmates bringing in their own array of styles. Therefore, it’s no real surprise that a quick spin through The Early Ian Plex is a smorgasbord of rawk, punk, psychedelia and 80s pop. When asked what genre he feels best suited to, Plex is pensive.

“Every song is different. I am a big Who fan, but I’m also influenced by Depeche Mode and the down down down guitar strumming of Weezer. When I listen to my music,” he jests, “I just hear rip-offs of other artists. But then again, all songs are rip-offs since the 60s…”

Aspiring to play this collection live, it wasn’t long before Plex set out to forge a band. After many tries, the latest incarnation, known as Human Fun, have sold out every show. Keeping it simple, Plex and fellow musician Dave Kasner alternate between stringed instruments while an unusual “member” holds the beat.

“Human Fun play some of the songs found on The Early Ian Plex, but instead of a typical band, we like to use a drum machine. But unlike other bands, we don’t try to hide it in the corner. We actively embrace it, which is going over well with audiences. Which isn’t to say that we’ll never have a drummer. We’re waiting for the right one, because having the wrong drummer in your band is worse than having a drum machine. We bring it right up front and call it Kenny, named after the horrid post-Keith Moon drummer for the Who.”

Human Fun play the 360 January 28th