OTTAWA (CUP)—Federal Industry Minister Allan Rock announced a $125-million endowment for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation last week.

The fund fulfils a commitment made in the government’s Innovation Strategy to create a scholarship program to rival the Rhodes scholarship. The program also fulfils a promise made after the former prime minister’s death to create a legacy in his memory.

In a speech that quoted Trudeau’s famed “Just Society” speech, Rock said the foundation would be the most appropriate tribute to Trudeau.

“We have the sense that Pierre Trudeau would have little interest in the bronze or stone monuments that traditionally commemorate our past leaders,” he said. “He would have wanted us to look ahead, to inspire young people, to build a better future in Canada and from Canada for the world.”

Every year, the foundation will award up to 25 fellowships, valued at $50,000 per year for four years. Also, up to five mentors will appointed in a given year to counsel fellowship winners. Five additional awards will be given to recognize internationally recognized scholars at Canadian universities.

Winners be chosen from a variety of disciplines and will work in areas relating to Trudeau’s personal interests, including, but not limited to, human rights and social justice, federalism and Canada and the world.

Rock said the program is designed to both attract top students from around the world and retain top Canadian researchers. Seventy-five per cent of recipients will be Canadian.

The foundation will be administered by a 15-member board of directors, composed of many distinguished Canadians, including three former premiers and three current university presidents. Trudeau’s youngest son Sacha will also serve on the board.

Sacha, who was involved in the development of the foundation, was present in the House of Commons gallery for the announcement.

“My father had great expectations for this country. He profoundly believed in our capacity to surpass ourselves in the creation of a just society,” he said outside the House. “These fellowships and the community they will create are an essential tool in the pursuit of this vision.”

Student groups had differing opinions on the announcement. The Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA) praised the program.

“Obviously, we think it’s great. It will ensure a legacy for our longest-serving prime minister,” said CASA national director Liam Arbuckle. “If we want to be competitive internationally then we have to have programs like that.”

However, Arbuckle said the performance of the foundation must be closely monitored.

“It’s one of those things that sound great, but so did Millennium [Scholarship Foundation] when it came,” he said, adding there still needs to be more support for students in the social sciences and the humanities.

The Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) criticized the foundation as “gimmicky.”

“This has all the hallmarks of the public relations vehicle known as the Millennium Scholarship fund,” said Ian Boyko, CFS national chair. “It’s a ploy for the Liberal Party as a whole and for certain individuals in the party. It’s publicity all around.”

Noting that federal funding for social sciences research is much lower than funding for research in the natural and health sciences, Boyko said the program would not address the problems facing researchers.

“I think once people get past Pierre Elliott Trudeau’s name, they’ll see what a shallow attempt this is to fund research,” he said.